D.I.Y. installing a TV arial?

B

Betsy Og

Anyone any experience of this. I gather I will need a spliter box (8 tv points & presumably 8 cables). There is a plug in the attic nearby in case need "booster" or amplifier as I think they are called.

Homebase are doing TV arials, I'd say I'd go for the biggest one, made for low signal area. Costs around €60 if memory serves me right.

I wouldnt be the worst with wiring, have rewired sockets lamps switches etc, so is this one a runner???, is the Homebase deal reasonable??

make sure the antenna you buy is matched to the transmitter you are aiming it at, otherwise picture will not be clear. Me mate realised this after 10 years of snow!

If yo uare in a weak reception area it can break your heart, the whole set up. And splitting the signal into 8 is not going to help the quality!!! When you use an amp you also introduce 'noise', no way round it.

If you're in a strong reception area tis grand. I have spend days and days in my area trying to get the set up right, never managed o get it done. You may end up needing grouped aerials depending on which way you are pointing, grouped diplexer if you need to combine signals, (say if you are trying to get british TV from a local deflector), amps. You may need to change the order of when you diplex(mix signlas) and amp, Before or after...

if you enjoy a challenge go for it...and if you get it working drop me a message abnd some hints!

having said that, I am within 100 yards of the south coast so bottom of hill so reception = crap....

Clubman,

I wont be venturing beyond the cosy confines of my attic, if it requires a "steeljack" to fix it to a chimney that wont be me!!!

Back