Health Insurance Cutting the cord on Health Insurance for young adult children

Sharpie

Just wandering what do other AAM members consider is an appropriate time to let their children off to their devices regarding securing their own Private Health Insurance . When they head off to college or when finally enter the workplace ?
Very hard to just cut the cord , isn't it . Same applies to Netflix subscriptions and the like. Nobody wants to appear tight but I'm just curious how did /will the rest of you guys handle it ?

Well I'd imagine once they earn an income if you can afford to keep it up until then, I have to say I kept paying mine until nearly 30! A bit much I know but made life a bit easier for them and I could afford it. I wouldn't be inclined to cut them off in college as presume they will have to let it drop altogether without an income to pay it.

Then on the other hand many people don't have health insurance at all, it's all about the level of risk a person is prepared to take.

Well I'd imagine once they earn an income if you can afford to keep it up until then, I have to say I kept paying mine until nearly 30! A bit much I know but made life a bit easier for them and I could afford it. I wouldn't be inclined to cut them off in college as presume they will have to let it drop altogether without an income to pay it.

Then on the other hand many people don't have health insurance at all, it's all about the level of risk a person is prepared to take.
And the Netflix , Monbretia ?;)

I was planning to cut mine off when they went to college but Laya seemed to be doing a young person deal at the time so it did not go up too much. The oldest is 23 now and employed and her company will pay from Jan so we are finished with her. Chatting to her friends they all seemed to get their health insurance paid all through college.

I did use the rapid access clinics a few times with her, and she got her wisdom teeth done.

I think the risk of no insurance is low, they are pretty healthy and tend not to need health insurance. I have heard of grannies paying for the child and spouse and grandchildren until they pass away but that is a bit much in my opinion.

Im happy to pay for health insurance while they are at college and I won't pull the plug immediately, if they don't have a job, or end up in a poorly paid intern position for a while.
I can easily afford it, and it makes sense not to have a break. One of mine has a life long medical condition which hopefully wont need much medical attention but you never know.

IMHO, the same DOESNT apply to netflix etc. If they end up living at home while while earning, we'll come to some arrangement then for them to apy their way

I suppose its all about if one can afford the extra Health Insurance premium or not it and if so , to get the best possible deal every year. The consensus seems to be : pay for it until they get through college or get a well paid job. Time to pull the plug on the Netflix though , I think !!!

Back