Current landlord refusing HAP

I have a HAP tenant and find the HAP scheme fine. Rent is paid the last Wed of the month and tenant pays a small amount to top up. They are lovely to deal with in the office, my tenant regularly pays rent late and I get the pink letter so they know her well as she goes in to sort it out before the payment date.

I had an inspection alright and there were a few niggly things that needed to be sorted out. I found that an expensive nuisance at the time! But I wouldnt see the HAP as a negative thing at all.

What happens if the tenant stops paying the council their contribution?

So HAP payments are not guaranteed then as I've seen some people say, all that has to happen is the tenant to stop paying the council their contribution and the landlord is left high and dry with no rent coming in. Is that correct?

So HAP payments are not guaranteed then as I've seen some people say, all that has to happen is the tenant to stop paying the council their contribution and the landlord is left high and dry with no rent coming in. Is that correct?

That is correct, to the best of my knowledge.

Maybe not anyone on here, but it happens.
Thanks for the link. As a landlord, this is the kind of scenario that would keep me awake at night, and it is the reason I would prefer not to accept HAP based tenants.
I'd imagine it is a very long and difficult process for the the landlord to get his property back and he would be lucky claw back any lost rent owed to him.

Thanks for the link. As a landlord, this is the kind of scenario that would keep me awake at night, and it is the reason I would prefer not to accept HAP based tenants.

You do realise that to refuse to accept HAP tenants is illegal and there are severe penalties

Maybe not anyone on here, but it happens.

Great link Leo. 655 Stopped out of 54,000, that is over 1.2%