Cure for smelly washing machine?

coolaboola

My washing machine is stinky! It smells of damp mould and worse than that, the smell is getting onto the clothes washed in the machine, especially if they're left to sit in the machine for any length of time once the wash cycle is finished.

Has anyone any tips for how to get rid of the smell? I've run the machine empty but for some bleach on a boil wash to try and clean out the machine but it seems to have made little difference. I leave the door open when not in use. The machine (a Zanussi front-loading model that has the door and drum tilted upwards - I can't remember the model number) is on a concrete floor in our garage.

Have you cleaned out the filter ? They are normally on the front of the machine at the bottom

coolaboola said:
Thank you! Will check the filter and check out that thread.

I have a zanussi that does the same thing when the filter is clogged so that's definitely the first thing to check. Sometimes I'll find a sock or something stuck in there; somehow small items (coins are another example) can get sucked in during the spin cycle and clog the filter.

Have you tried cleaning out the rubber seal around the door?
Also, make sure your outlet pipe is clear as that can cause smells to come back into the washing machine! HTH :)

I watched "How clean is your house" with Kim and Aggie over the weekend and they came across the same problem. The put a cup of undiluted "white" vinegar into a normal wash and the smell had gone.

Back