Cummuting Mayo-London - tax situation

F

Frank H

Hi - first time poster, but I can tell I will be coimg here time and time again!

My family and I will be moving to Mayo from the Uk in spring or Summer 2007. I have not yet found a job in the region. However, I have been given the opportunity my current employer to retain my existing job and commute (flights) on a part-time basis back to the UK. In essence, this would work as follows:

· Of the 52 calendar weeks, 6 of these would be classed as annual leave and would be taken outside of Ireland (UK or Europe)
· For the remaining 46 weeks, I would ordinarily leave Ireland at 07:00 on Mondays and return at around 23:00 on Thursdays.
· The UK Inland Revenue have stated that as I will be in full time employment in the UK and paid by a UK company that I will be classed as a UK resident for tax and national insurance purposes.

I have read the booklet RES2, but I still have the following questions/queries:

· The definition of day in RES2 is “..present in Ireland at midnight”. Given the information above I calculate that I would be classed as present in Ireland for 4 days per week (Thurs-Sun). If so, this would mean that if I continued to work in the pattern outlined above I would be ‘present’ in Ireland for 184 days per year – also making me classed as resident in Ireland. Is this correct?
· Finally, if I am classed as a resident of both UK and Ireland, what are the implications of the double-taxation agreement in this instance? Will I just

Other information which may be relevant:

· I am a UK national.
· My salary will continue to be paid by my UK employer into a UK bank account. I will transfer money on a monthly basis into an Irish account.
· My spouse (an Irish national) does not currently work, but may seek employment upon return to Ireland
· I am a UK higher-rate tax payer (40%)
· We have two children under the age of 5

I would greatly appreciate it if anybody could clarify the situation regarding residency and what the likely tax implications would be for me (e.g. double taxation agreement and how that applies in my case).

Many thanks
FH

If you are ordinarily resident in Ireland ( and it sounds as if you will be ) you will pay your PAYE in the UK, you will need to make a return in Ireland and unfortunately pay the difference to Revenue here. Revenue will give you a credit to reflect the tax you have paid in the UK. Make sure that you are not paying PRSI in both the UK and Ireland and there is an additional health levy that you will be required to pay.

Hi,
You should look at the Revenue Commisionsers website www.revenue.ie.

There are a few information leaflets which are relevant to you and may help.

Good luck with the move.

Back