Crew cab private use

Introuble83

I want to purchase a 6 seat crew cab . Most likely a lwb t5 or transit custom . I will be using it for private use (carrying bikes / camping / beach trips ) . Ideally I would like to avail of the the cheaper road tax but have no vat number . Has anyone attempted to do this successfully?

Ideally I would like to avail of the the cheaper road tax but have no vat number . Has anyone attempted to do this successfully?

The days of taxing it commercially when not entitled to are well gone. If you are using it in any private capacity, you'll have to pay the full tax rate.

The tax offices are very strict now and you'll need a plethora of documents to prove your entitlement to the commercial rate.

And... the clanger... if you use it in any personal capacity at all... you'll have to pay the private rate.

From the Meath County Council website:

https://www.meath.ie/council/counci...tax-a-goods-vehicle/tax-a-light-goods-vehicle

=> 6 numbered points about it.

You're chasing a lost cause. The motor tax offices know all the tricks...

Also in the last paragraph of PaddyBloggits link, to avail of commercial road tax you also have to insure the vehicle commercially
Which I would presume is more expensive than private and would end up been more expensive in the long run

to avail of commercial road tax you also have to insure the vehicle commercially
Which I would presume is more expensive than private and would end up been more expensive in the long run

It's not that bad. I have a crew cab (2022) and as such it has to be insured commercially but it is taxed privately. The insurance allows for private use. I think my insurance came in at €384 this year. Private tax costs me €710 annually (as opposed to €333 for commercial). Private tax means I am fully legal and can carry passengers, go to the shop etc. without issue.

I was able to tax it online when doing it privately. If I had wanted to tax it commercially, I'd have had to attend the tax office in person and prove that I was entitled to it, which, based on all the documents/proof they'd require, I wouldn't be entitled to it. I knew that as I bought the vehicle. I was fully aware of what private road tax would cost me.

And I'm happy in the knowledge that I'm fully right with road tax, insurance etc. Nobody can accuse me of doing wrong.

I'm paying, roughly €32 extra per month for private road tax. Is it worth it? Yes.

Is it not the case that once the vehicle is taxed commercially once you can renew online ?

As a new owner, you'll have to renew the road tax at the tax office first time round. If you have satified all the criteria, you'll be able to renew online every year after that without issue.

It's your first time taxing it will be your problem. Where you'll be caught is in the change of ownership (in the case of a secondhand vehicle). Just because a vehicle was taxed at the commercial rate doesn't mean you can get away with continuing to pay the same rate.

From the Wicklow County Council website:

Renewal of Motor Tax for Commercial/Goods vehicle can now be done Online at www.motortax.ie provided there has not been a change of ownership since last taxing.

Owners of goods vehicles of 3,500kg or less registered in their names can obtain a concessionary rate of motor tax when they have a business/trade registered with the Revenue Commissioners.

To avail of the concessionary rate, a signed and stamped Goods Only Declaration (Form RF111A) AND supporting evidence as proof of registration of business/trade must be submitted when taxing the vehicle for the first time, following change of ownership or change of tax class.

Vehicle owners who cannot produce supporting documentation or who intend to use the vehicle for dual purposes (i.e. goods and private) MUST tax the vehicle at the private rate based on engine size.

(The bold, italic and red colour is mine for emphasis)

It's the paperwork (or lack of it) will catch you out. Motor tax offices have gotten very strict on this (and righly so) because that's what a commercial rate is for, commercial use. If you can't prove it's solely for commercial use, you're not entitled to the commercial rate.

Also, don't forget, a commercial vehicle will have to be tested annually for a CRW (Certificate of Roadworthiness) and that costs the bones of €120.00

Regardless...

I will be using it for private use (carrying bikes / camping / beach trips ) .

... your intention is to use it for private use, so you'll have to pay the private rate.

Last edited:
A 2 ltr. VW T5 Transporter will cost you €710 to tax privately.

Surely it's worth the extra €377 annually to be fully legal and have the vehicle you need and want?

A 2..2 Transit Custom will cost you €951 annually.

It looks to me that you will have to pay to fulfill what you need.

A 2 ltr. VW T5 Transporter will cost you €710 to tax privately.

Surely it's worth the extra €377 annually to be fully legal and have the vehicle you need and want?

A 2..2 Transit Custom will cost you €951 annually.

It looks to me that you will have to pay to fulfill what you need.
Yes looks that way. I notice the Renault traffic crew comes in a 1.6 diesel which should be tax friendly

don't forget a commercial has to be tested every year from new too so that's more money and hassle each year.

cvrt.ie

It's not that bad. I have a crew cab (2022) and as such it has to be insured commercially but it is taxed privately. The insurance allows for private use. I think my insurance came in at €384 this year. Private tax costs me €710 annually (as opposed to €333 for commercial). Private tax means I am fully legal and can carry passengers, go to the shop etc. without issue.

I was able to tax it online when doing it privately. If I had wanted to tax it commercially, I'd have had to attend the tax office in person and prove that I was entitled to it, which, based on all the documents/proof they'd require, I wouldn't be entitled to it. I knew that as I bought the vehicle. I was fully aware of what private road tax would cost me.

And I'm happy in the knowledge that I'm fully right with road tax, insurance etc. Nobody can accuse me of doing wrong.

I'm paying, roughly €32 extra per month for private road tax. Is it worth it? Yes.
Hi @PaddyBloggit , what crew cab are you driving that €710 tax? I'm need something that has 5 seats and can pull a bit of weight, crew cab ranger is obvious choice, but dont want to buy a 3.2 and get stuck with private tax!

Hi @PaddyBloggit , what crew cab are you driving that €710 tax? I'm need something that has 5 seats and can pull a bit of weight, crew cab ranger is obvious choice, but dont want to buy a 3.2 and get stuck with private tax!

The new ranger is 2198 cc. That's where the €710 comes from.

Consider a 7 seater? I presume you're not carrying 6 people on every journey. You can add a roof box of maybe a trailer.

...although I suspect your heart is set on a cool pick up. Can't blame you.;)

Hi @PaddyBloggit - thanks for the useful info above.. If I buy crew cab and want to tax it for private use - does that require extra VRT to be paid on it also to change from a commercial? Its a factory built crew cab VW.. Presume same as just taxing a van privately..

Hi danny_irl555,

Welcome to AAM.

Unfortunately Paddy has not been around for a while so you may not receive a reply.

Commercial vans have to be tested CVRT every year from 1 year old.
If taxed privately does this now fall into NCT
People tend to forget about the cost of CVRT on top of the 333, time and hassle too.

Back