Credit card security

Radar

I was going to purchase some photographic goods from a German online computer/photo supplier (computeruniverse.net) and was in the process of giving my credit card details when I was requested to photocopy both sides of my credit card and fax it together with my personal details to a German fax number. The reason given was that, in Germany, they can't verify cards the same way as in other countries so they need a copy of the signature on the card. They said that this would be a one-off as the details would be held for future purchases. I didn't feel comfortable with this and backed out.

Can anyone please tell me if I am being over-cautious or is this actually the case in Germany? I haven't dealt with this company before - their website looks good and they seem to have a huge range but that means nothing these days.

Thanks!

This was discussued on this forum before (I did a search but can't find the thread) and apparently it's legit. Is the fax number you were given on their website anywhere?

Thanks, CCOVICH, better safe than sorry. Their fax number only comes up during the checkout process as part of the (secure) transaction page. It is not a seperate pop-up so I guess it should be OK.

Back