Credit card payment gone missing - NIB's new eBanking system?

RainyDay

I made 2 payments from my NIB current account to my Amex Blue card on 19th & 21st April. Both payments were made via the new NIB eBanking system. The first one hit my Amex account on 25th April, but the 2nd one (the larger one) still hasn't hit my Amex account (6 working days later).

NIB tell me the payment went through as normal. Amex tell me that everything is normal at their end, though they have instituted a 'missing payment' query tonight.

I see that the NIB system prompts me for a "Reference / Credit Card No etc. (mandatory):" when making payments. I have no recollection of what I entered for either payment, but I guess that I left them both blank. If I view the details of both transactions via eBanking, they both show 'Transfer' in this field.

Suggestions as to what may have gone wrong or what I can do to avoid getting stuck between NIB & Amex blaming each other.

I paid ESB & Gas bill using the new online banking about a fortnight ago. Got a call form NIB last Friday to say that I needed to call some guy at AIB (ESB's bank).
He needed my ESB A/C number in order to process the transaction. I had not entered any details in the reference field when making the payment (as there was never a need to do this before).
Next time I will make sure to input the a/c number in the reference field.
No word from Bord Gais so maybe that went through??

you probably need to get all parties on the phone together if you are to sort it out.

Soy wrote:
you probably need to get all parties on the phone together if you are to sort it out.

Not unless you need them to sort out your mess due to not providing information as basic as an account reference :) .

RainyDay said:
I see that the NIB system prompts me for a "Reference / Credit Card No etc. (mandatory):" when making payments. I have no recollection of what I entered for either payment, but I guess that I left them both blank. If I view the details of both transactions via eBanking, they both show 'Transfer' in this field.

I made the same "mistake" when trying to pay an AIB Visa card ex NIB. I assumed this reference was an additional one. It appears, however, that you need to put in your credit card number here - otherwise when the payment is made the receiving bank will have no idea which credit card number is being paid. I tried to get them to put in the rerefence at the receiving end but was told they are unable to do this as it is an automated system

The payment will bounce back after a number of days - I transferred out on 19 April but money didn't arrive back until 27th April.

The "new improved system" does not seem to store the critical references that the old one did, an annoying flow in my opinion.

RainyDay said:
I made 2 payments from my NIB current account to my Amex Blue card on 19th & 21st April. Both payments were made via the new NIB eBanking system. The first one hit my Amex account on 25th April, but the 2nd one (the larger one) still hasn't hit my Amex account (6 working days later).

NIB tell me the payment went through as normal. Amex tell me that everything is normal at their end, though they have instituted a 'missing payment' query tonight.
Going slightly off topic but how are you checking your Amex balance? Can you do that online through BOI?

daveirl said:
Going slightly off topic but how are you checking your Amex balance? Can you do that online through BOI?
I had to call their customer services line each time.
jwd said:
Not unless you need them to sort out your mess due to not providing information as basic as an account reference :) .
Did you actually read Soy's post? S/he clarified that it was not necessary to enter the reference details on the old system when making a payment. The reference details were set up as a once-off when setting up the payee. There was no communication about a change in the process, so your comment was pretty unhelpful and off-target.

Today's update:

The lady at Amex tells me that I'm the 3rd NIB customer she spoke to today chasing a missing payment. I suspect that the problem does revolve around reference numbers. When I try to edit the payee details in the new system, there is no reference number for Amex Blue (unlike the old system), just a target sort code & account number. However, I'm 99% sure that I didn't enter any such reference with the first smaller payment I made, yet this was processed successfully to my Amex account. Both these payments appear with 'Transfer:' in the reference field when I view it online. How could the first payment have got through to my account without the reference number?

Originally Posted by RainyDay
Did you actually read Soy's post? S/he clarified that it was not necessary to enter the reference details on the old system when making a payment. The reference details were set up as a once-off when setting up the payee. There was no communication about a change in the process, so your comment was pretty unhelpful and off-target.

Yes, I did read all postings. My point is that, no matter how it was done in the past, both posters stated that they had not, or believed they had not, entered the Reference No. in a field marked 'Mandatory'. I would fault NIB here if their system allowed the transaction to be accepted with this field blank, but it is a matter of due care for the customer. The system presents you with the final details before execution. For me, the absence of a reference number was obvious at this stage.

My comments were not intended to be unhelpful or off-target.

If you didn't put in a reference this would explain it.

However be warned that if you set up payees with references on the old system they weren't carried over - so I notice on my eircom setup!

jwd said:
Yes, I did read all postings. My point is that, no matter how it was done in the past, both posters stated that they had not, or believed they had not, entered the Reference No. in a field marked 'Mandatory'. I would fault NIB here if their system allowed the transaction to be accepted with this field blank, but it is a matter of due care for the customer. The system presents you with the final details before execution. For me, the absence of a reference number was obvious at this stage.

My comments were not intended to be unhelpful or off-target.
Let's just clarify the facts;

- NIB gave no indication to their customers that the procedure which had worked successfully for years was to be changed.
- NIB migrated payee details from the old system to the new system, but omitted the reference details during this migration
- There are several new fields on the 'transfer' screen in the new system; Text on account statement, Approve now/Put in out-tray
- The new reference field is marked as '(Mandatory for some a/c types)'
Yes, I did miss the significance of this field when entering the payment, but given the degree of change with the new system, this is entirely predictible.

NIB seriously dropped the ball by not (as an absolute minimum) making it very clear to customers that this facility was changing fundamentally.

Of course, none of this speculation explains how my first payment (without the reference field) did get through to Amex. I'm suspecting that NIB were aware of the problem and made manual interventions on some transactions, but not on others.

Those nice guys at Amex have managed to trace my payment and credit it to my account. I've told NIB that I'll be passing over any interest charges to them.

Back