Credit card- application refused

i see from the posts above that ulster bank backs the tesco credit card. their loans too are backed by ub. i can see how that might stop you getting a tesco credit card as you already have a credit card directly with ub.

Alex.

CCOVICH said:
However, a possible reason for refusal could be that the Tesco credit card is provided/underwritten by RBS, who operate on this island as Ulster Bank. It could be that RBS/Ulster Bank don't want to give you a second card.

Quoting myself in response to Alex

Shouldn't be a problem, I have cards with both Ulster (with whom I have my current a/c etc) and Tesco (nifty 0.5% back on purchases in the form of Tesco Clubcard points)

Also keep getting mailings inviting me to apply for Ulster's zinc card - don't see the point.....

do ub only give out such invitations when you already have a credit card with them?

Alex.

Observer said:
Also keep getting mailings inviting me to apply for Ulster's zinc card - don't see the point.....

Do UB still refund the stamp duty on Zinc cards as long as you spend over a certain amount a year? That's a good reason I guess?

Alex said:
do ub only give out such invitations when you already have a credit card with them?
Alex.
No, I started getting the junk mail when I opened a current account with them. Regularly get offers for every kind of product, mortgage, loan, cc, insurance, investment bonds, etc.

Do UB still refund the stamp duty on Zinc cards as long as you spend over a certain amount a year? That's a good reason I guess?
Yes, they do. Handy if you want an extra card, I suppose.

Many years ago in a poorer time in my life my partner and I spent weekends applying for store cards in the USA because they had fantastic gifts on offer just to apply - for instance at Christmas we got the turkey roasting dish from Sears. Anyway we know we'd be turned down because we had no credit history in the states having just arrived. A year or so later this came back to haunt us because when making a genuine application for a credit card we were refused solely on the grounds that we had been refused so many times in the past year.

I don't know if this could happen here but I'd be reluctant to apply for another card unless I was assured I'd be approved.

Back