Creating History

joer

I played golf in a fourball a few weeks ago and two of the lads had a hole in one , on the same hole and one immediately after the other. It got local paper coverage but no more than that. Granted it wasn't in competition.
If that happened to professional players it would be covered for weeks.
As it happened yesterday, Wednesday, one of the same lads had a hole in one in a society competition on another course.
What are the chances ??.

I'm not a golfer, but that is curious.

Could the settled weather be helping... less unpredictable conditions perhaps?

Not really. Golf is a challenge no matter what the weather is like. When is is wet the greens are softer so the ball sits that bit easier in the surface but you are playing with jumpers , jackets coats etc. It still depends on the bounce and roll of the ball. When the weather is hot like now the greens are harder so it's not as easy to hold the ball on them. It's very occasionally that someone will get a hole in one and it takes a good shot but luck determines whether the ball will get the right bounce and roll for it to go into the hole.
I think the odds on two happening on the same hole one after the other is millions to one , so I am told.

The odds would vary depending on the course, conditions, skill of the player, etc.

Golf is a very popular pastime (one estimate I found is 377,000,000 rounds played per year worldwide!) which means a lot of opportunities for someone to get a hole in one.

Even if the chances of multiple holes in one are minuscule - say 1 in 100 million - that means it would happen somewhere on the planet 3 or 4 times a year.

Do golfers wear gopros or similar to capture things like this?

The players that I play with are all 13 and 14 handicap players and don't wear anything to capture events like this , pure amateur players ,in this case. At least there were two others , one been me , who witnessed it happening.

What a lovely thread and it's even Friday. I'm not a golfer although once I had a set of golf clubs and membership of a club for two years (and also used municipal courses from time to time). In a nutshell golf was not for me for various reasons (most of them from outside of the game). But, one of the best sporting books that I read was "A Good Walk Spoiled" by John Feinstein. It covered the ups and downs of the pro golfer (not necessarily those at the top of the game). Pro golfers fighting for their "card" was the important bit. Pro golfers who couldn't afford private jets and five star hotel rooms were banished to 2nd hand camper vans where they travelled from tournament to tournament and sometimes entered two tournaments in the same day abandoning one to quickly scoot to the other if the first scorecard wasn't favourable. If you never read another book "A Good Walk Spoiled" is an entertaining, factual account of those trying to exist in the game.

But, nice to see @joer involved in a piece of golf history. I think I remember one of golf's sacred rules that the person who got a hole-in-one would buy a drink for everybody in the club bar. Two free "rounds" on the same day seems good except for those "driving." There might be scope for a golf society within Askaboutmoney too?

There was no buying a drink from my lot :cool:.....but I wouldn't hold that against them.

Back