Craft Beers

Steven Barrett

Reading the Guinness Nitro thread, a few posters said they like a few IPA's at home. What are your favourites or go tos? Is there any off licence that you go to for craft beer or is it supermarket/ O'Briens?

I was coming out of town on Wednesday through Ranelagh so stopped in Redmonds that has a great selection, so I stocked up. Lots of different stouts that I will try. The Cellar in Blackrock is also a great spot for craft beer.

Beer wise I find Trouble Brewing can't do anything wrong at the moment. Ambush is a lovely beer. I picked up a Chery Chocolate Stout (Dash Away) and a Pumpkin Ale (Pumpkin Brew) that I'll be trying this weekend. Whiplash also make great beer but I always have to check the alcohol content on them as they can be too strong for me (6% is my limit).

Sierra Nevada and Founders All Day IPA are other staple beers in my fridge.

Yep, everything that Sierra Nevada makes is 100%...everything, not just their Pale Ale & other IPA's. My local Centra usually does a few Sierra's, and another offy in Sligo town does harder to get Sierra's. Otherwise online if I want to try the real hard to get ones. I do tend to lean towards the US crafts more than anything. But my local Lough Gill brewery does nice IPA's...much better than the other local brewery!

Wicklow Wolf do some great beers too. Their stout is lovely as is their IPA. They come out with lot of limited editions beers as well. One out at the moment, Pointy Shoes 2020 is 12%!! :eek: I'd be fast asleep soon after if I drank that o_O

Devennys in Dundrum has a great selection . I prefer lager to IPA , and I love a good German beer (Augustiner, Spaten, Erginer etc. )

I have MANY favourites...

Kinnegar in Donegal have some fantastic beers: Scraggy Bay, Crossroads, Limeburner and Rustbucket to name but four.
White Hag in Sligo don't do a bad beer. Their Atlantean and the Little Fawn session ale are fab.
Wicklow Wolf are outstanding. Elevation Pale Ale, Mammoth Pale Ale and for me the finest red ale in the country Wildfire Hoppy.
O'Hara's in Carlow do the best stout, their Nitro Stout which is smooth, creamy and tasty.

Trouble Brewing changed their lineup of beers in recent years. They used to do a gorgeous Sabotage Golden Ale which seems to have been discontinued. Their Ambush is a nice beer though.

Blacks of Kinsale KPA is excellent. I now, however, favour Aldi's Roadworks non-alcoholic IPA. €1.29 and no hangover.

Rascals do some nice IPAs too.
They have a Club Rock Shandy one out at the moment. I wouldn't bother with it.

Siren are a UK brewer who make lovely beers too.

And then there is the Weiss beers which introduced me to it all. We travelled around Germany in a campervan in 2011 and every town you stopped in you got the local beer or weiss. That was the end of the traditional beers for me. Paulaner is the best of these and I'm also partial to Edinger Weiss as well.

Back