Covid payment

cremeegg

As a self employed person whose income fell 56% overnight as a result of the Covid situation I claimed and received the PUP.

How long can I continue to claim this. My income has begun to recover slowly. I expect about 10% back in July and 20% in August. By October I expect to be back to maybe 80% of what I had. I dont think it will ever get back to the Feb 2020 level.

At what point do I cease to be eligible for the PUP, assuming the scheme itself continues.

You must confirm eligibility by July 13.

[broken link removed]

Thanks for that.

It includes a declaration that "nor am I receiving income from self-employment at the moment." which of course I am. At the moment I am receiving just 44% of my previous income.

Does this mean I will lose the payment. Has the criteria moved from impacted by more that 25% to no income. Seems unlikely but that's how the form reads.

Self employed people were never entitled to any PUP payment where they were receiving ANY income. It’s a terrible anomaly. The 25% reduction is for businesses not individuals

Self employed people were never entitled to any PUP payment where they were receiving ANY income. It’s a terrible anomaly. The 25% reduction is for businesses not individuals

Where are you seeing that.

Gov.ie says

"You may, if your trading income has collapsed to the extent that you are available to take up other full-time employment if it was offered to you, receive a payment of €350 per week for so long as you are available to take up other work. This is equal to the standard jobseeker rate for a two adult household."

I am available to take up full time employment.

Here on these ss - sister self employed and for all her research any income even if only a fiver precludes from the pup

Attachments

• 4CEC9A1C-3E05-4568-ACA3-F6C9669DA8BF.png
    4CEC9A1C-3E05-4568-ACA3-F6C9669DA8BF.png
    261.2 KB · Views: 23
  • A6D11459-54C5-4395-95BD-FBB8F385974B.png
    A6D11459-54C5-4395-95BD-FBB8F385974B.png
    277.9 KB · Views: 24
Here on these ss - sister self employed and for all her research any income even if only a fiver precludes from the pup
This is misleading. If you look at the second screen shot, the bullet point with the phrase "self-employed and your trading income has ceased" is actually a link. Clicking it on gov.ie brings up the paragraph quoted by cremeegg above:

"You may, if your trading income has collapsed to the extent that you are available to take up other full-time employment if it was offered to you, receive a payment of €350 per week for so long as you are available to take up other work. This is equal to the standard jobseeker rate for a two adult household."

The only possible interpretation is that the declaration "nor am I receiving income from self-employment at the moment" should be interpreted as meaning collapsed to the extent that....etc etc.

The guidance and declaration appear to be contradictory on the plain meaning of the language used. It shouldn't be up to individual claimants to adopt a purposive interpretation. Some will interpret the disparity in their favour, and otheres will be overly cautious and not apply for a payment which they may be entitled to. Its extremely unsatisfactory. The Department need to make things clear.

The guidance and declaration appear to be contradictory on the plain meaning of the language used. It shouldn't be up to individual claimants to adopt a purposive interpretation. Some will interpret the disparity in their favour, and otheres will be overly cautious and not apply for a payment which they may be entitled to. Its extremely unsatisfactory. The Department need to make things clear.
Completely agree, and can’t see why there hasn’t been any furore in the media, it’s very disappointing that the situation isn’t clearer. I’ve heard of people calling the welfare hotline and basically being told no, no entitlement once any money is earned. So even say a royalty amount of a fiver and they’re not entitled. awful situation for an awful lot of people in the arts

There's lots of talk about extending the Wage Subsidy Scheme. But nothing has been mentioned about the PUP. I can see the logic of trying to get people from the PUP to TWSS, but what about the self-employed, who cannot access TWSS? Very little noise about this.

Back