Courses Tax

N

I would like to get a better understanding of the whole taxation system in Ireland. Are there any part time courses where you can cover this sort of thing and possibly get some sort of certification.
To qualify as an accountant you need to do certain exams on taxation ... is it possible for a non accountancy student to do just the tax exams?

thanks

Anything useful here?

Are you sure that you want to learn about the WHOLE tax system as this is a pretty ambitious target - covering as it would personal taxation (income tax, CGT etc.) as well as corporation taxation etc. etc.? Or do you mean some area in particular (e.g. personal taxation)? Is your intention to eventually work in a professional capacity in this area? Or is this simply for your own edification? If it's the latter then there's plenty to be learned by referring to information that is already in the public domain (e.g. on the Revenue and other sites including AAM) and reading a few books on personal finance and taxation etc.

www.revenue.ie
www.tab.ie

I suppose I am more interested in personal taxation, and how to use this information to see if I can benefit from any tax breaks and areas where I can legimately avoid paying tax.

Actually are there any good books out there that focus on this?

The usual personal finance books that are revised after each budget cover a lot of this stuff in sufficient detail - e.g. the TAB book mentioned above, Colm Rapple's "Family Finance", Bill Tyson's "Your Money" (?) and I think that there's another common one too. The Revenue website has a wealth of information on personal allowances and credits etc. It makes sense to check all of your details (e.g. P60s, statements of tax credits, payslips etc.) each year to make sure that (a) you are meeting your tax obligations and (b) that you are not missing out on any allowances/credits to which you are actually entitled. For PAYE workers who are already claiming their normal credits/allowances and standard rate bands there is not an awful lot of scope for reducing one's tax burden other than stuff like claiming medical/dental expenses relief, claiming married allowances/standard rate bands if not already on joint/aggregated taxation, making pension contributions (tax deferral since pension income will be assessable for tax), claiming tax and PRSI relief on standalone PRSA contributions (PRSA contributions through payroll will benefit from tax/PRSI relief at source), claiming mortgage interest tax relief, claiming service charges relief etc. (well maybe there are opportunities after all! :) )

Other than income tax one can reduce CGT exposure by transferring assets (at no stamp duty or broker cost) to one's spouse (in order to avail of both annual CGT allowances when eventually disposing of assets), ensure that CGT liabilities are calculated to include indexation of acquisition prices for inflation (up to December 31st 2002), allowable expenses, offsetting of previously incurred capital losses (e.g. eircom etc.)

Unregistered User

You should do a course to become an accounting technician ... it is not too expensive & will cover the following topics I got this from the College of Commerce site in Cork

[broken link removed]

Business Management & I.T.
Business Law
Accounting 1
Taxation I
Computerised A/C
IT
Law 2 CODE 028B
Taxation 2 or Costing CODE
Accounting 2 CODE 028F

Back