Couple - Planning on Second Mortgage in 2021 and Pension Contribution Relief Lower Tax Rate

Silversun

Spouse’s/Partner's age: 32

Annual gross income from employment or profession: 65000
Annual gross income of spouse: 34000

Monthly take-home pay:
His 3,100
Hers 2,250

Type of employment: PAYE Workers - Neither company has had to use governments COVID supports to date.

In general are you:
(a) spending more than you earn, or (b) saving? Saving
Him saving 1,500 per month in to a specific saving account not being touched.
Her saving 450 per month in to a specific saving account not being touched.

Rough estimate of value of home: 225,000
Amount outstanding on your mortgage: 165,000

What interest rate are you paying? 2.9% currently fixed until November 2022

Other borrowings – zero

Do you pay off your full credit card balance each month? Yes
If not, what is the balance on your credit card? 0

Savings and investments:

Him
Current Account €3,400
General Saving Account €3,300 -- I add/dip in to this as needed
Mortgage Savings Account €17,750 -- account isn't touched except to add savings.
Credit Union €1,000
Shares: €2,760
Retention bonus of €20,000 in May 2021 if I stay with my current employer until then.
I've also been gifted sweet equity ordinary shares if I stay with the company until Jan 2025. Current valuation €100,000. However the value of these may go up or down and if I leave the company for any reason before 2025 I lose entitlement so won't be considered.

Her
Savings Account €27,000
Credit Union €1,000

Do you have a pension scheme? Yes

His current valuation 119,000 and paying 20% in to each month
Her current valuation 22,000 and paying 10% into each month

Do you own any investment or other property? No

Ages of children: 0

Life insurance: Yes.

What specific question do you have or what issues are of concern to you?

Q1. Feedback on second mortgage.

We'd like to be able to purchase first without selling so as not to be dependent on a chain. Is this realistic? The reason for this is we don't have any where else to live in between and we'd also hate to lose out on our ideal place if it became available because of being in a chain. We'd list the other property straight away but only sell after we move. When we do sell it, any balance from the first mortgage we'd split between reducing the new mortgage, savings & investments & wedding,

The currently property is one I bought in 2016 before meeting my current partner. We're looking at buying a family home together in 2021 - to a maximum of €300,000 (so mortgage 240,000 with 60,000 deposit). As we're working towards the 20% deposit for a property purchase to simplify the mortgage application we have kept it in dedicated savings accounts (as opposed to putting savings in to stocks).

The retention bonus payment, if paid as expected in May, would bring us to the required 20% deposit for second time buyers. We plan to then meet with the bank to seek mortgage approval.

Q2. Pension Contributions

Once we have purchased a family home we're considering increasing her pension contributions to 20% which is the max allowed for tax relief based on her age. However this would only be relief at the lower taxation rate. Open to thoughts from people

Q3. Anything else we should do or consider.

So you have €54k between you. You will have another €10k net in May plus whatever you save until then. So probably around €70k

Your income is €100k, so you should get a total mortgage of around €350k easily enough.
You have €165k so you would get around €200k easily enough.

You need €240k. I would think that a lender would make an exception and give it to you.

1) So your overall strategy is correct.
Don't contribute to a pension until you have traded up.
Don't overpay your mortgage as you need the cash for the deposit on the second house.
Sell your existing house after you have traded up - don't keep it as an investment.

2)
We're looking at buying a family home together in 2021 - to a maximum of €300,000 (so mortgage 240,000 with 60,000 deposit).

This is the bit I don't really get. Trading up from a €225k house to a €300k house isn't that big a jump. My concern is that you would want to trade up again after a few years. Trading up is very stressful and very expensive in terms of stamp duty, legal fees, moving. It is also risky. For example, you buy a house for €300k when your own is worth €225k. Then you go to sell your house and the market dies.

You have a combined income of €100k
You have cash of €70k
You have equity of €60k
So a total "deposit" of €130k

With your proposed trade-up, you will have a mortgage of €170k.

You could afford a mortgage of €300k comfortably and buy a house for €430k.

You have a good chance of getting €100k of shares in 4 years - say €50k net.

If a €300k house is going to be your final house, fair enough. Otherwise trade up to a €430k house
That would require selling your current house. But as you don't have kids, that should be easy enough to do.

It's a bit messy and requires a fair bit of choreography and luck.
But put your house on the market.
And start looking at the same time.
Once you exchange contracts on your own house, you can put in bids on the new house with confidence.

It's also just about possible that a lender would allow you buy the second house without selling your first house.

Brendan

And whatever else you do, make sure that you write an agreement on the ownership of the house.

It's not very romantic but it will save you a lot of hassle down the road if you split up.

This is one of our busiest forums:

Thanks for the replies. regarding the bit you questioned - yes the 300k would be to (we hope) buy a final family home for the rest of our life's. The reason for the change is location.

Back