Couple both Aged 46, want to retire at 51

Are you sure 30k is enough .it looks too low to me for 2 adults and a teen ( as we are).
perhaps you might give a breakdown as it seems unlikely imho
I would say based on our experience 50k is more realistic and far from extravagant

There are so many early retirees now, visit any gym in the mornings and you will see them, they go walking, golfing etc etc , look around your community, typically aged 45+ and you will see them, these are the first generation where their jobs for life ended early for varieties of reasons.

As I stated earlier in the thread you plan as you are clearly doing, you will be fine, I have walked the road ahead of you, financial planning is essential as are in my view performing generating assets ( property in my case )

Never mind the Nay Say ers you plan and you execute, this thread is valuable to others that read it, they think of their own situation and may never post, you are on topic for sure.

Same for any of us, plan to fail - fail to plan..;-)

Oh finally beware of people in suits promising absolute returns and advocating various investment strategies, I worked in financial circles for nearly 30 years and in that time I have learned much, foremost is that those experts wearing various badges of honour and that don a nice suit means very little, buyer beware when it comes to any investing for the future, in my case I prefer to paddle my own investment canoe but that is just the proven cynic in me. I avoid commissions, payments to advisors and so on, each to their own and all that..the joy of AAM is that you will invariably get good stuff from replies after a meaningful query.... when a filter is applied of course.

I have dealt with hundreds of comfortable retirees over the course of my career, and based on what I've seen, my advice (which I will follow myself) is to avoid retiring early and to avoid retiring entirely.
That's very interesting Gordon
What are the main problems /disadvantages they have experienced in practice ?
Thanks

Loss of mental sharpness, boredom, and marital difficulties.

For all of them, Gordon ? I certainly wouldn't have encountered hundreds of retirees like you have, but many of those I do know are very content with it. I also know some who have found it very difficult and unsatisfying. I think it is very hard to generalise - but I do not think that finance is the primary factor differentiating the contented from the discontented.

On a more scientific level, the The Irish Longitudinal Study on Ageing (TILDA) study suggested that there tended to be quite a difference in satisfaction levels between those whose retirements were voluntary and those whose retirements were either mandatory or on health grounds.

As I said earlier planning is the critical piece, I have direct and personal knowledge of a number of Guys in the same space as myself, keeping active mentally and physically is important.The issues Mr Gekko has thrown out as fact based on his life experience hold equally true for the same aged guys who go out to do battle daily in the business and corporate world.

Plan it and then execute your plan, I'm walking that walk.

Back