Could deleted posts be moved to a trash can?

Discussion in 'Suggestion box' started by dub_nerd, Jul 13, 2016.

1. dub_nerd

dub_nerd Frequent Poster

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2016
    Just a thought -- is there any way deleted posts can be moved to some sort of recoverable trash can? I'd have been happy to move mine to elsewhere, but not to write it again from scratch since it involved a bit of research. (Apologies, as this is probably for another thread too).

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2016
  2. Brendan Burgess

Brendan Burgess Founder

Hi dub

There is no such facility.

If there is single post off topic which is particularly significant, we tend to move it to a new thread. For example, on an Ulster Bank tracker thread, someone discusses an important ptsb issue.

But if someone goes off topic. Then someone else responds to that and the real topic. And then someone else responds to just the off topic bit, it becomes a huge job to disentangle.

The best approach is not to go off topic and not to respond to a post which is off topic.

Brendan

3. Mrs Vimes

Mrs Vimes Frequent Poster

Hi dubnerd,

having seen the level of work you put into a number of your posts it must be very upsetting to have them deleted!

The odd time I do any post of any length I do it in word (well, libreoffice) or at least copy & paste to word regularly as I have occasionally been logged out by the time I'm ready to hit send and have lost work to date. Then I email it to myself in case my computer goes away!

4. Brendan Burgess

Brendan Burgess Founder

That happened with the old vBulletin.

But I think that xenForo seems to ma

Confirmed. I logged out without posting that and when I logged back in it had made a draft to that point.

Xenforo makes back-ups of drafts every few minutes.

Brendan

5. mathepac

mathepac Frequent Poster

Brendan, If a lengthy, well-structured, well-researched post appears in the wrong place, would it be possible to copy and paste the content to a PM to the OP with the correct thread / topic title?

I know if they're OP's or new posters they may be moved. It seems more problematic mid-thread.

6. Brendan Burgess

Brendan Burgess Founder

If a lengthy well researched post is in the wrong place it's moved.

What triggered this thread was this post. I have no idea what it was about . I really don't have time to read it in some detail. Try to understand it. Realise that it's off topic. Find out where to move it. and then pick an appropriate subject.
    Brexit and language affiinities

As it was soft deleted, I did resurrect it and start a new thread.

But do you know what? I prefer to spend my time answering financial questions rather than tidying up after people.

Brendan

mathepac likes this.
  7. dub_nerd

dub_nerd Frequent Poster

On several bulletin boards I do that too, because of the possibility of losing the post. Ironically, AAM's new software is very good at not losing posts which makes it less likely that I'd keep a backup.

I completely understand. Discussion moderation is a thankless task and life is too short to entertain every crackpot poster. My post was a well-intentioned mistake. I assumed that a discussion of the UK and free movement of labour could include reasons why that free movement might disproportionately affect the UK (such as language affinity). I completely accept that in the narrower sense that you clarified in a subsequent post -- whether free movement is necessary for a free trade area -- my post was off topic. If, as well as the delete button, the software had an equally usable "push post back to user's Inbox with a pro forma note on how/why to stay on-topic" button, that would be neat. It doesn't, that's fine, I'll focus my attention on the well-scoped financial questions that AAM is so good at and steer clear of "discussion" questions where I'd be the first to admit I can be a bit of a waffler. Thanks for entertaining the meta-question.