Costs of Enduring Power of Attorney

suicra05

Myself and my wife want to setup an Enduring Power of Attorney. I am based in Dublin. What are the costs involved?
I was wondering what is the average price to setup the EPOA?

If you have a subscription to the Business Post, they had an article on this topic a couple of years ago. Open to correction, but I think the article included the names of one or more solicitors who offered low-cost Enduring Power of Attorney services. Not a recommendation on my part - but perhaps what you are looking for

My parents had one done a good few years back. I can't remember the exact cost but it was surprisingly low, a few hundred euro or thereabouts. Rural area, local solicitor who had done wills and other stuff for them also, and who will get the probate business in due course.

My parents had one done a good few years back. I can't remember the exact cost but it was surprisingly low, a few hundred euro or thereabouts. Rural area, local solicitor who had done wills and other stuff for them also, and who will get the probate business in due course.
Did it last year with a similar solicitor, €260

My parents had theirs done about 8 years ago. Solicitor charged €250 for the two, which I thought was very fair as it included an introductory briefing note, notifications to the notice parties and a visit to the house for signing. I made a copy of my father's EPOA, handwrote a few necessary changes (the attornies, notice parties, doctor's name etc) handed it back to the solicitor and asked him to set mine up. He charged me €250 also, but that included a quick update/redraft and singing of my will at the same time.

Last edited:
My parents had theirs done about 8 years ago. Solicitor charged €250 for the two, which I thought was very fair as it included an introductory briefing note, notifications to the notice parties and a visit to the house for signing. I made a copy of my father's EPOA, handwrote a few necessary changes (the attornies, notice parties, doctor's name etc) handed it back to the solicitor and asked him to set mine up. He charged me €250 also, but that included a quick update/redraft and singing of my will at the same time.
Not a bad price, considering the live musical performance was included.

"In essence, an EPOA is just a piece of paper - the big costs arise when it needs to be activated."

It is more than that.................

It is vitally important to

a. Get the wording right
b. Make sure that the certification by the Doctor and Solicitor is right
c. Make sure the Notice Parties are the prescribed parties, or explain why not, and that they are properly served

Registration of an EPA is very strictly overseen by the Wards of Court Office and woe betide anyone trying to register if any of the above are not in order.

mf

"In essence, an EPOA is just a piece of paper - the big costs arise when it needs to be activated."

It is more than that.................

It is vitally important to

a. Get the wording right
b. Make sure that the certification by the Doctor and Solicitor is right
c. Make sure the Notice Parties are the prescribed parties, or explain why not, and that they are properly served

Registration of an EPA is very strictly overseen by the Wards of Court Office and woe betide anyone trying to register if any of the above are not in order.

mf

Of course it is! That goes without saying; or at least I though that it would, given that my reply related to a question about the costs involved in implementing one!

In essence, an EPOA is just a piece of paper - the big costs arise when it needs to be activated.

If you google for "cost of registering an Enduring Power of Attorney" you'll get an idea of the processes involved.

There's some good information here - http://www.okellysolicitors.ie/2015/register-an-enduring-power-attorney-epa/ [I have no connection with the firm - note that this link dates from 2015.]
Thanks for sharing that link. The question it poses is if you have to go through all those hoops, once the person is incapacitated, to register an EPOA, what benefit does an EPOA provide in the first place?

If an EPOA wasn't in place, is the process much less straight forward / much more costly?

an EPOA wasn't in place, is the process much less straight forward / much more costly?
Simple answer is yes.

There are, rightly, a number of checks to get the EPOA in place.

But it is a defined process.

If you have to go to court to get a Ward of Court order, it will be more expensive, take longer & you may not have any say.

Thanks for sharing that link. The question it poses is if you have to go through all those hoops, once the person is incapacitated, to register an EPOA, what benefit does an EPOA provide in the first place?

If an EPOA wasn't in place, is the process much less straight forward / much more costly?
If you don't have an EPOA, the person is a ward of the court and you have to go to court every time you want a release of money.

A few years ago, an elderly friend was quoted around €1,300 by a Dublin solicitor for an EPOA. In the end it was decided to just decided to give a trusted relative signing authority on the bank account. The friend was not a property owner.

Back