Cost of single storey v double storey

Sarah7326

We have planning permission for a double storey extension to our house. Size is 70m2
Just got our first quotes back for builders finish, no floors or paint and its €180K for the double or €70K for the single. I always thought that since the single needed foundations and a roof anyway that the extra storey wouldn't cost more than the single storey. Is this normal??

Thanks

We have planning permission for a double storey extension to our house. Size is 70m2
Just got our first quotes back for builders finish, no floors or paint and its €180K for the double or €70K for the single. I always thought that since the single needed foundations and a roof anyway that the extra storey wouldn't cost more than the single storey. Is this normal??

Thanks
No certainly not normal. Very very roughly if the two story extension is coming in at 180k I would expect bottom floor if it is 35sqm to come in at half that price of the 180k that is 90k plus 30% for foundations etc
That is 120k for single story and 180k to go two story. All builds are different all specs are different.

Worth bearing in mind, if you have planning for 2 storey , but only build single storey, you may need retention permission to regularise the planning as you have not built it in accordance with the planning. You also cannot lodge a commencement notice for the full planning if only building half.

Back