Cost of replacing windows?

C

coolaboola

Can anyone give me a rough guesstimate of the cost of replacing windows in a house... my house, which is a small 3-bed end of terrace with four c. 6' x 3' windows, one 2' x 3' window and one 1' x 3' window?

I know there's been extensive discussion on the merits of various types of glazing and frames and companies here but I haven't seen mention of the overall cost of replacing windows in a house.

We have really dodgy double glazing of indeterminate vintage (installed by previous owners) with ugly and inefficient aluminum frames (so effective at conducting heat out of the house that there is a constant layer of mould on the frames from condensation ... yuk!) and broken seals which have lead to streaking of the insides of the panes due to condensation.

Now our house, being a pretty old (1938) concrete house with little insulation beyond that which we laid in the attic, is a pretty cold house. And I don't think the dodgy windows are doing us any favours when it comes to retaining heat. I'm all on for low-emissivity, Agron-filled, super-cosy, solar-gain enhancing windows. But to those who have replaced windows (esp. those who have gone from dodgy double glazing to decent quality windows) have you noticed much of a difference in coziness?

Windows

We replaced windows and doors in 3 bed semi from aluminium double glazed to PVC (pilkington K glass etc) about 4 years ago and paid about 8.5K (IR£) which I think was too much but we went for a very reputable company so I think that was why. I definitely noticed a difference because there used to be cold air coming from the old windows and doors in the winter so I'd say it'd help your situation. it also helped to insulate attic door, a lot of drafts came in there.

Coola,

These threads might be of interest:

You could try getting a quote from [broken link removed] who should be quite near to you. They did my Mother's windows some years and they were very good/clean. At that time Frank Doherty looked after their quotes etc. Very nice/helpful guy.

anyone any experience with Vista-therm windows...Building new house and getting a good quote from company using this type of win. Info looks good with U-value of 1.1...!

Thanks!

Thanking you all very kindly much! That's helpful... (I'd checked out the other threads already but didn't see mention of the overall costs) :)

Back