Cost of installing an electric shower

P

Popsy

Hi

Anyone have any idea how much the above would cost approx???

Already have a shower in the en suite worked off the immersion, but want to install an electric one.....I presume I can just leave the shower as it is and put the electric one up beside it instead of having to break tiles etc????? Can anyone advise....

Thanks a mill

shower

It might be more complicated than that. An electric shower will need plumbing directly from mains, not immersion AFAIK and also one of those pull switches hanging from the ceiling.

Re: shower

Hi Popsy,
I'm just doing the same myself at the moment... and I do not know too much about it.... but...

My plumber has advised me to get a Mira Elite as I have a relatively new house (immersion I think). I had planned to get a Mira Sport which worked off the mains.
I got an electrician in to wire it up, this cost 250Euro and took about two hours for two people. The Mira Elite costs ~290Euro in Heiton Buckleys... The plumber would also need to hook it up; although I can't talk to how much that, on its own, would be as my pumber is doing a lot more work at the same time.
Darragh.

So will your plumber be doing the wiring ?

These things must have a proper earth

I'd rope a sparkie in on the job too if it was mine

Cue resident AAM sparkie ( sorry I cant remember your name ) with ( hopefully ) chapter and verse on the possible dangers

eDog

shower

I don't know how, but my partner installed our electric shower himself and I think my father did the same in his house (both of them too mean to get the job done properly!) In the case of our house, the plumbing and wiring was there for the shower so all my partner had to do was the actual connection to both of these.

Is the shower you already have run off the bath or just a shower run off the immersion? My parents have another shower in their house that is a power shower and they have to turn on the hot water on the (oil) stanley range a half an hour beforehand, unless the heat is on anyway. They always had to have their own awkward way of doing things!

In my house I only have an electric shower in the ensuite and the bath in the main bathroom but I want to sort out some kind of a shower for the bathroom, because visitors have to go into our bedroom to have a shower and also my lovely partner blames me and Triton for the high ESB bills, but the tap in the bath is too slow. It does seem a waste having an electric shower when there's hot water in the tank as it is and I heard something about having 2 electric showers in one house being dangerous???

It costs approx €650 to put in an electric shower. It has to be wired seperately from the fuse board hence the need for an electrician. The plumber who did mine told me that you can have two showers in the one house, provided that they are not used at the same time as this would be dangerous. I think its to do with the amount of power they draw from the system!

electric shower

You actually can have 2 electric showers in the house but you need to get a circuit breaker that ensures that only one shower operates at any one time. This is not something that your average DIY man should be tackling. Get a proper electrician. The implications arising from any error in wiring an electric shower (even just a single electric shower) are way too serious in comparison to what money you save by not getting a professional.

Re: electric shower

It costs approx €650 to put in an electric shower

Am I reading this right? You buy a shower for, say, €300 and then pay €650 to get it installed??

Re: electric shower

1. If putting in the second mains-powered shower, you need an electrical unit, called a prioritiser (quite apt!), fitted at the board.

2. Allow for €300 for plumbing and accessories and €300 for electrics and accessories as a safe, but high estimate.

After that you have to add the cost of your shower unit.

Back