Cost of Initiating Divorce

irishman2020

I am just wondering what the cost of getting a solicitor and barrister to prepare and submit papers to initiate divorce proceedings (affidavitts means & welfare & civil bill), There is already a Judicial Separation in place. The documents will have to be carefully prepared as the application will be opposed as the other party wants to make very significant and IMO unreasonable changes to the judicial separation terms.

Think of a number & double it.

The only thing divorce gives you is the right to re-marry.

Purely anecdotal evidence suggests that JS / property settlements, esp post-96 are not generally over turned; unless there is clear evidence of duplicity on either side.

Child maintenance can be reviewed at any time.

Legal fees can build quickly, €20k is not unheard of.

Do you really want to re-marry?

Edit to add: divorce itself cannot be opposed, as long as you meet the criteria to have lived apart for the stated number of years, you will be granted a divorce.

Edit again: didnt you post on this before?

Think of a number & double it.

The only thing divorce gives you is the right to re-marry......Do you really want to re-marry?

No, but your spouse might.

You also might want to marry someone sooner than you can finalise a divorce post-JS.

I know several couples in long-term judicial separations and I think it's the weirdest thing ever. Unheard of outside Ireland too.

No, but your spouse might.

You also might want to marry someone sooner than you can finalise a divorce post-JS.

I know several couples in long-term judicial separations and I think it's the weirdest thing ever. Unheard of outside Ireland too.

4 years of separation before you can get a divorce must be one of the longest periods too. I suppose people, having gone through all the hassle of the JS, have gotten on with their lives and don't want the hassle of going through that again

If the former spouse wanted to remarry, I would expect they would be the plaintiff.

The separation time has been shortened, and is now 2 years of the last three years, not 4.

I expect in future cases, many couples will apply for divorce once they meet the time requirement & not bother with a JS.

Every solicitor will have their own rates. You are as well to shop around.
If at all possible leave solicitors and Barristers out of it and be as amicable as you can or it could end up costing you 10's of thousands.

This can be an emotionally charged time - People should not make financial decisions when emotions are charged.
Don't underestimate how bitter the other party can get. The fees can increase in proportion to the bitterness so keep it sweet. It will be cheaper that way. I know one person that spent a ridiculous amount of money because they wanted to hurt the other person no matter what. Both of them ended up without a house in order to pay the legal bills.

I would try to get out of it as cheaply as possible - Be smart. If the other party wants something and you can give it away without costing a whole lot then give it but I take it that it is a significant number based on your post.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your comments and thoughts. I'm afraid the other party wants to completely rewrite the JS despite the JS being fair to both parties IMO. There is no major change in circumstances. It is a nutty situation (now resolved with the new referendum) that people have to go through hoops on two occasions...

other party wants to completely rewrite the JS
Examine the cost of what is being sought, if you are likely to spend the same amount on legal fees, it may be worth making an offer if you are determined to proceed with divorce application.

It is a nutty situation (now resolved with the new referendum) that people have to go through hoops on two occasions...
Not really - JS has always been available; the addition of divorce legislation only allowed you the right to legally remarry. By and large (caveat IANAL and second caveat, there's not enough information published); a JS generally stands, with the exceptions as I've already mentioned.

Back