Cost of Houses a joke.. but COME ON!

John wrote -
Why is home ownership such a big thing herre ? In other European countries, people are happy to rent all their lives.
Because the Government in collusion with large developers have seen fit to ignore renters rights legislation. This wink and nudge benefits the developers by encouraging grasping middle-classers to desire a second property for buy-to-let.<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--><!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->This is why the Irish are not holders of western continental rental properties (holiday areas excluded). The laws protect renters and many leases are 10 years in length. Oops! No chance of hiking those rent anytime soon!

Thats not quite true anymore . The Residential Tenancies Act gives tenants a right to a further 3 and a half year tenancy after 6 months. If the rent increase is disputed by the tenant they can apply to have it reviwed by the PTRB.

Oh yes it is. I rang the Private Rented Tenancies Board and enquired about adjudication. The pleasant person said that the section of the Act conveying authority to rule rather than provide good offices for mediation has not been enacted. And she could not say with any certainty when or if it would be.<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--><!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->Another scrap to the toothless tiger of consumerism in Ireland.

But the right to an extended tenancy is in place. And the rent review is scheduled to come into operation in December according to legislation.

Foreign property - laws for tenants.

Not as well protected as you might think.

Even in France, the home of civil libery, there is a growing ownership by non French of rental property targetting the local 'long term' market. I know, I own one.
All you have to do is furnish the place, Let it furnished, and make the Lease 1 year max. No problem getting them out afterward if you wish.

Dandy, have you further details (links) about LT rental laws in France? My knowledge of the subject needs a refresher (even if the pages are in French).

Back