Cost of Heating Oil

C

CPAMG

I'm living in rented accomodation with 3 other people. We paid 360 euro 6 weeks ago for heating oil. We now need to buy some more. Is this excessive? The oil is only on for about 4 hours most days. I'm just curious if that is the norm because our boiler looks like an antique.

Hi CPAMG

Yes, I definitely think that €360 for 4 hours' use per day over a six-week period is excessive and I would say extraordinary.

Is there a leak somewhere? You should get your landlord to investigate. There has to be something wrong somewhere.

Marion :hat

costs for heating

...and make sure the boiler is clean.As well if you can see smoke at the chimney it obviously does not get enough oxygen/air,the mixture being "to fat" makes it uneconomical and smelly/polluting,a good deal of the oil might leave the boiler without being fully burned.

Re: costs for heating

Thanks for your replies. I was thinking that the oil usage was a bit excessive myself. We( the house-mates) were talking last night and it seems it was the same last year. They had to fill the tank four times and said the house was still pretty cold. I think I'll move out in Jan, as although the rent is very reasonable on paper, when you throw in the cost of heating the place and the fact the landlord is not registered it just ain't worth it.

Thanks again

CPMAG
Have you looked to see if you have an oil leak. The oil pipe is usually visible and you could also put a container under the tap at the back of the tank under the drain off valve/tap a very small drip would drain a lot of oil 24/7 even if it were a small leak.

Regards
Roger

We paid €180 2 months ago and use a lot more than 4 hours a day and we've half it left in a 4 bedroom house.

Thanks again for the replies.

Got another 360 euro fill of oil on Friday and everything was working fine. Last night though the heating packed in and no amount of tweaking could get it to work. Bloody freezing last night as well. The landlord came round to check it and said it must be the fuse that was gone. He told us he’d run down to the shops and see if he could pick up a replacement ( at 9 o’clock on a Sun night??), but he didn’t call back. Told us today he’ll get someone out to service the boiler, but I won’t hold my breath. The thing is ancient and it probably needs replacing at this stage.

I’ve a good mind to buy an electric heater for my room and when the electricity bill comes tell him to go and pay it!!

Back