Cost of gas per unit, not litre?

B

bluebean

Hi all,

Just received a gas bill from landlord, where he is charging us per unit and not per litre. He is charging us 1.95 per unit. I'm a bit of a doubting Thomas, and this figure seems conveniently round to me.
We are using a gas tank, not mains gas.

Does anyone know how much is a unit of gas? 1.95 seems very high, considering a litre of gas is around 40cents so this would mean there is 5 litres per unit and would look like we've used a hell of a lot of gas if this is the case!

I rang Calor gas but they only deal in litres.

Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks in advance,

BB

its probably too late for you now but the day after my tenants moved in , i had the oil tank filled. when they eventualy move out, they will be responsible for filling it back up. totally transparent and no question of any future arguments about how much was actually used.

What sort of 'unit' would you be meaning I wonder ?

FWIW different gas / LPG mixes have different calorific values.

If you know the type of gas that you are using ( from Calor I presume ) then they should be able to tell you its calorific value.

( Unless you can find out what your landlords 'unit' is you wont get very far ...........Perhaps he means a BTU ???...........)

Does anyone know how much is a unit of gas?

Bord Gas use cubicmeters or cubicft as their primary unit and then convert to KWh for billing purposes. As you say Calor use litres. You need to ask your landlord what unit he is using.

ajapale

re

Thanks.
The bill just seems very high for approx 6/7 months, its working out at around 100 euro per month. No one in house during the day except for weekends, and I'd estimate that it is on approx 2.5/3 hours per day max. And here was I thinking gas was cheaper!
I'm definitely suspicious that we are being overcharged, as the landlord has done up the invoice to us using his own company's headed paper. No mention of VAT on it, no bills from calor to back it up....I'm wondering if he is putting it through his company + claiming vat back on it and then charging us the gross amount.....maybe he's not, but def need to get more information off him.
Thanks again for info re units and litres.

Re: re

And here was I thinking gas was cheaper!

Hi bb,

I think LPG is always an expensive option. Natural Gas has been good value but prices are bound to go up dramatically because the are linked to the price of oil.

ajapale

expensive heating

Demand a proper bill from your landlord.He has to back-up his costs with bills,that is the law.What does your contract say?
It could be the case that your landlord is using some outdated meter,than it is up to him to get the thing checked for conformity with the regulations.And to proof that it is a proper reading meter would be also his burden,not yours.All meters/scales in use of business have to have a seal of approval,it states on the seal when it would necessary to be rechecked by the authorities.Check the supermarket scale the next time you buy vegetables,somewhere at it/at the side-but visible!-there would be an official seal.
B.t.w.:LPG is cheaper when you own/buy the tank,you can shop around for the best deal.With standard methane from the pipe you can't,you are the prey of the oligarchs.
Tesco and Lidl supermarkets are using LPG nowadays.Because it is cheaper.

Back