Cost of Building in West of Ireland

mprsv1000

Hi there
I am planning on buying a rundown house in County Clare. The house, which is a two bed cottage will most likely need to be knocked and rebulit. Any idea how much a project like this is likely to set me back.

cheers

allow €100 a square foot for a quality job and nice finishes and as little as €70 for a 'plainer' job where you contract in the subbies yourself.

Hi there
I am planning on buying a rundown house in County Clare. The house, which is a two bed cottage will most likely need to be knocked and rebulit. Any idea how much a project like this is likely to set me back.

cheers

depends, depends, depends - size, style, layout, ground conditions, no. of floors, internal spec etc etc etc.

Saying that - about 120 yo yos psf as an all in cost isnt far of what many builders say

Cheers guy

100-120 yoyo's ain't too bad, certainly not as bad as I expected. I'll just be keeping it simple as it will be a holiday home.

Hate to be a pessimist but here's my 2 cents for what it's worth...

Not sure about the Sq. Ft. cost as I usually operate in metres, but for a new build I would generally advise people that 1500euro per Sq.m. would do a nice, but plain job (no stone counter tops, no hardwood floors sort of thing) and 2000 - 2500 per Sq.m. would finish things very nicely.

Don't forget this is the average cost across the house, obviously some rooms are going to be cheaper than others, but considering that a good kitchen including appliances and nice units & counter tops can very easily stretch to 20,000 and hardwood floors for a typical ground floor to around 5000, not to mention windows - any sort of nice large ope timber framed window can cost thousands too, fireplaces, light fittings, cost of an electrician, plumber etc. Are you going to go for under floor heating seeing as you're new-building etc. Bathrooms - good taps can be 300 - 1000 a piece, tiles etc.

EVERYBODY under budgets when building - I generally try and advise a higher cost per sq.m. initially, if you save - great and if something comes up then you'll have a bit of padding - for example during the build of a house they struck upon an under ground river - the foundations had to be re-designed, there was a 2 month delay and the whole process cost 25,000 extra - and you haven't even gotten out of the ground yet!

Don't make the mistake of under-estimating your budget.

Good luck.

Hate to be a pessimist but here's my 2 cents for what it's worth...

Not sure about the Sq. Ft. cost as I usually operate in metres, but for a new build I would generally advise people that 1500euro per Sq.m. would do a nice, but plain job (no stone counter tops, no hardwood floors sort of thing) and 2000 - 2500 per Sq.m. would finish things very nicely.

Don't forget this is the average cost across the house, obviously some rooms are going to be cheaper than others, but considering that a good kitchen including appliances and nice units & counter tops can very easily stretch to 20,000 and hardwood floors for a typical ground floor to around 5000, not to mention windows - any sort of nice large ope timber framed window can cost thousands too, fireplaces, light fittings, cost of an electrician, plumber etc. Are you going to go for under floor heating seeing as you're new-building etc. Bathrooms - good taps can be 300 - 1000 a piece, tiles etc.

EVERYBODY under budgets when building - I generally try and advise a higher cost per sq.m. initially, if you save - great and if something comes up then you'll have a bit of padding - for example during the build of a house they struck upon an under ground river - the foundations had to be re-designed, there was a 2 month delay and the whole process cost 25,000 extra - and you haven't even gotten out of the ground yet!

Don't make the mistake of under-estimating your budget.

Good luck.

that equates to 139 yos psf

I believe 1sq.m. = 10.76 sq.ft.

2000 euro per sq.m. = 185.87 euro per sq. ft.
2500 euro per sq.m. = 232.34 euro per sq. ft.
1500 euro per sq.m. = 139.40 euro per sq. ft.

Christ lads its a holiday home in Clare, not in St Tropez. :eek:

REBUILDING insurance in the west of Ireland is still under €100 a square foot for a lived in house with heavy insulation and good heating and all that.

I think the higher price is more reflective of the actual cost - certainly in Dublin. I say this having just started a fairly small build project in Dublin 6. Access is very good but of the three builders that I could find to even consider the project the prices were all similar to MG01's. They all said that labour costs, insurance, ground clearance and debris disposal costs have rocketed.

I have reviewed my own household rebuild insurance on that basis on the grounds that its all very well taking the Chartered Surveyors basic figures but when the S**T hits the fan and you're looking for a builder to rebuild your fire razed house and can't get one to do it for the CS figures, better to be over insured than under.

mf

depends where you live mate, in D6 the builders assume you are loaded and quote accordingly so a simple €100 a sq ft job could easily mutate into €200

but not for a cottage in Clare that need not be finished until next June surely.

Back