Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefly

HSE are obviously prepared for this.....

Last updated: 07 February 2020

You do not need to follow any specific advice in relation to coronavirus if you have:
  • not been to mainland China

meanwhile....

Irish staff at Indeed told to work from home over coronavirus concerns
Indeed employs over 1,000 people in Ireland and says employee may have been exposed

What do you propose would be an appropriate national level response to a few people maybe being exposed to a single person who had previously been in Singapore and may have been exposed to the virus?

I hope the HSE are stocking up on as much oxygen, personal protective equipment, alcohol handgels, antibacterial soap as they can...

Move them up North while we still have free movement.... And then sit back and read the daily mail.

What do you propose would be an appropriate national level response to a few people maybe being exposed to a single person who had previously been in Singapore and may have been exposed to the virus?
I think the risk is still quite low, but the advising people not to follow any specific advice in relation to coronavirus if they have not been to mainland China surely can't be good advise?

And in the meantime consider the fact that in 2018 measles killed 140,000 people world wide (source: WHO) and a cheap vaccine is available.
They were mainly black and poor though, right? It's okay for poor black people to die of measles.
And don't forget diarrhea which kills 2,195 children every day, more than AIDS, malaria, and measles combined. But it's okay, they are black and brown and most importantly they are poor (really poor, not Irish poor) and diarrhea won't kill white kids since the cure is clean water and some food.

In the meantime let's keep panicking about a disease which might kill some rich people. Let's talk about the vaccines that will be developed. Let's not talk about the cure for diarrhea since that one is so complicated; toilets and sanitation.

I think the risk is still quite low, but the advising people not to follow any specific advice in relation to coronavirus if they have not been to mainland China surely can't be good advise?

The risk level here is currently so low, doing any more would be an over reaction. The regular flu kills 2-500 people here every year, there is nothing yet to justify advice other than the general advice in place for that for people who have not traveled to China or who have been in direct contact with someone confirmed to have coronavirus.

The risk level here is currently so low, doing any more would be an over reaction. The regular flu kills 2-500 people here every year, there is nothing yet to justify advice other than the general advice in place for that for people who have not traveled to China or who have been in direct contact with someone confirmed to have coronavirus.
Yeah, you're right actually and I'm probably overly overreacting. But I can't say I'm not a little worried.

I don't believe for one second China cordoned off provinces because of the number of deaths that has been reported. The real figures are much worse than anything published as they weren't classifying people who died from secondary conditions such as pneumonia as victims of coronavirus unless they had been tested. And they can only test so many people. The real death toll is at least 10 times higher and could be much worse.

It is causing so many secondary complications that the medical facilities in parts of China are overwhelmed.

That's what got other countries spooked in a way that flu and measles does not.
And especially bad would be if coronavirus hit while flu season was still ongoing.

I don't believe for one second China cordoned off provinces because of the number of deaths that has been reported. The real figures are much worse than anything published as they weren't classifying people who died from secondary conditions such as pneumonia as victims of coronavirus unless they had been tested. And they can only test so many people. The real death toll is at least 10 times higher and could be much worse.

It is causing so many secondary complications that the medical facilities in parts of China are overwhelmed.

That's what got other countries spooked in a way that flu and measles does not.
And especially bad would be if coronavirus hit while flu season was still ongoing.

That and the small complication of not having a cure yet....

Yeah, you're right actually and I'm probably overly overreacting. But I can't say I'm not a little worried.

It certainly has the capacity to become a huge issue, but at this point, telling people to do more might cost more lives with panic buying putting a strain on medical supply chains.

This is a worrying development...
Twelve patients treated by two British GPs who have been diagnosed with coronavirus are being traced by health officials, the BBC understands.
Between them, the two doctors worked in four different places in East and West Sussex - a nursing home, an A&E department and two GP practices.

Did you know that coronavirus is simply an anagram of "carnivorous" and the world-wide epidemic is life imitating art with flesh-eating monsters now loose amongst us and not just on the telly? Can WHO fix this or is the real question *who* can fix this?

Did you know that coronavirus is simply an anagram of "carnivorous" and the world-wide epidemic is life imitating art with flesh-eating monsters now loose amongst us and not just on the telly? Can WHO fix this or is the real question *who* can fix this?

Does that mean vegans are safe?

I don't think so. Although some vegans might qualify as vegetables, there are still largely composed of flesh and blood meaning they could be attractive as starters or side dishes; WHO knows? I've used a query to end that sentence as a question but is it really and does WHO actually know?

Worrying developments tonight as there are outbreaks of the virus now reported in the Middle East with no apparent links back to China.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back