Coronavirus - latest global news - discuss Irish news the other thread

China puts city of Shenzhen under lockdown
Yet again it looks like China are struggling with containment. I saw a report that Hong Kong's cases are increasing too.

The BBC had , for the first time in months, had their 2 experts back, cases are again rising and Javed was on breakfast asking people to get the booster.

Finally looks like a 4th dose is going to be a real thing come Autumn, but that's according to Pfizer.

Yet again it looks like China are struggling with containment. I saw a report that Hong Kong's cases are increasing too.

The BBC had , for the first time in months, had their 2 experts back, cases are again rising and Javed was on breakfast asking people to get the booster.

Finally looks like a 4th dose is going to be a real thing come Autumn, but that's according to Pfizer.
Things seem bad in Hong Kong, cases translating into serious cases in hospital as the older population contains a lot unvaccinated or who got Chinese Sinovac(?) which isn't holding up well.

Things seem bad in Hong Kong, cases translating into serious cases in hospital as the older population contains a lot unvaccinated or who got Chinese Sinovac(?) which isn't holding up well.
Hong Kong: The city’s morgues run out of space from a deadly Omicron surge. In under three months since the highly transmissible variant broke through, Hong Kong has recorded nearly a million infections and more than 4,600 deaths – the bulk of them from the city’s unvaccinated elderly population.

In the UK, PM Boris Johnson, his wife Carrie and Chancellor Rishi Sunak have been notified that they will be issued with fixed penalty notices over lockdown-breaking parties in Downing Street.

In the UK, PM Boris Johnson, his wife Carrie and Chancellor Rishi Sunak have been notified that they will be issued with fixed penalty notices over lockdown-breaking parties in Downing Street.
Therefore he has lied to Parliament ,Sunak is already in the mire with a Non Dom wife and his own green card....this is going to be fun.

Nurses are now struggling with living expenses and they essentially saved the country.

Maybe the pandemic is going a little good afterall.

Hong Kong: The city’s morgues run out of space from a deadly Omicron surge. In under three months since the highly transmissible variant broke through, Hong Kong has recorded nearly a million infections and more than 4,600 deaths – the bulk of them from the city’s unvaccinated elderly population.

My god, this is crazy imho. These countries surely can clearly see what works & what doesn't at this stage e.g. social distancing, masks, Antigen tests and effective vaccines are the planks of an effective covid management programme. There may(...) be some excuse for China, but places like Hong Kong, no excuse really.

I mean when this madness will stop? I'm so sick of this news, it's been a lot since we normally lived, how come world can't beat this covid...
We vaccinated they didn't.
We have stopped publishing daily case counts and seem to have gotten through the Omicron wave peak.
So it's relatively quiet on 'our' front and now we're coming into summer. Will have to see what autumn winter brings now that travel is open.

My god, this is crazy imho. These countries surely can clearly see what works & what doesn't at this stage e.g. social distancing, masks, Antigen tests and effective vaccines are the planks of an effective covid management programme. There may(...) be some excuse for China, but places like Hong Kong, no excuse really.
Old people in HK simply didn't get vaccinated, it's the same in other south Asian countries.
But the bull in the China shop, unfortunate pun, it's the same in China now millions are locked up and the Chinese Government are still going for zero covid.

Today an outbreak was reported in Beijing.

The problem I can see here is that the virus will once again mutate as its active amongst 1.5? Bn people, The Chinese have vaccines and other medical supplies but when the population is this large its impossible to contain it. So why are they trying?

My son and his family live in Hong Kong. They are down to a few hundred cases daily. They are out and about, no problem.

Back