Coronavirus - latest global news - discuss Irish news the other thread

The number of Iranians contracting Coronavirus and dying from the disease hit a new daily record, the Ministry of Health revealed on Wednesday. It announced that 956 had caught the disease in the past 24 hours and over the same period a total of 68 deaths had been recorded. The numbers take the total number of deaths to 354 and the number of those infected to around 9,000. Some nurses on social media said the peak may not be around April or May, but government officials say they hope the worst to have passed by the end of next week.

That's interesting; in a country with a good (but not great) public health system the mortality rate is running at 0.4 of 1% or 4 people per thousand.

First fatality in Ireland associated with coronavirus. RIP.
The patient died earlier on Wednesday in a hospital in the east of the country, where they were being trated in recent days. It is understood the patient initally presented with respiratory symptoms and was later diagnosed with the disease when staff decided to perform a test. The criteria for testing patients has been broadened this week to include those patients who have clinical respiratory symptoms but no history of travel to affected areas internationally. This is in recognition that the disease may be ciculating in the community. The patient is understood to be elderly.

Hungary has declared a state of emergency in response to the coronavirus outbreak, closing universities and banning large gatherings, Index.hu reports. It says outdoor events of more than 500 people and indoor events of more than 100 people have been banned. This includes cinemas and theatres but not workplaces and shopping malls, it reports. There is also a ban on school trips abroad. The country has announced 13 confirmed cases so far.

We are officially stupid if we don't go into lock down mode .we need to follow Singapore's lead . If we locked down for next 2 weeks it would at least slow us down and give us a view of what's happening in countries further down the road than us. If 200 deaths in Italy alone today and 2000 more cases in full lockdown mode dosnt tell us .Our decision makers are starting to scare me

Schools and universities shut .All sports activities, trainings and match's stopped . People asked to stay at home if at all possible excluding work .This should be implemented at once with a 3 day trial to see if it's enough or if people are not heeding.

Schools and universities shut .All sports activities, trainings and match's stopped . People asked to stay at home if at all possible excluding work .This should be implemented at once with a 3 day trial to see if it's enough or if people are not heeding.
Hardly lockdown but yes, maybe bring forward the school summer holidays. That way the children's education won't suffer and they will be away from school for 8-12 weeks. We'll end up with bands of feral children roaming the streets but we can deal with that.

We are officially stupid if we don't go into lock down mode .we need to follow Singapore's lead . If we locked down for next 2 weeks it would at least slow us down and give us a view of what's happening in countries further down the road than us. If 200 deaths in Italy alone today and 2000 more cases in full lockdown mode dosnt tell us .Our decision makers are starting to scare me

Seems to me that we are not making the decisions here but rather they are being made in Brussels. No EU country (other than Italy) has implemented any serious lockdowns as far as I can see.

6.6% in Italy. 827 deaths with 12462 cases
Wow, nearly 60% higher.
I presume that's to do with the demographics of the population. Iran has an excellent healthcare system but I presume Italy's is better.

Wow, nearly 60% higher.
I presume that's to do with the demographics of the population. Iran has an excellent healthcare system but I presume Italy's is better.

Age is a factor but I suspect the number of tests undertaken might have an impact. The New Scientist mentioned that the fatality rate in South Korea is 0.6% because they tested 140,000 people. They suggest the true rate in Italy is closer to 3.4%.

There are now 43 confirmed cases in the Republic. 9 new cases today and 1 fatality:
  • – Four males from the south of the country associated with travel;
  • – One female from the south of the country who came into contact with a confirmed case;
  • – One male from the south who came in contact with a confirmed case;
  • – Two males from the east of the country associated with travel;
  • – One male from the east of the country who came into contact with a confirmed case.

The Department of Foreign Affairs is advising against non-essential travel to four areas in Spain - Madrid, Vitoria and Labastida in the Basque Country and La Rioja - due to an increase in the number of Spanish coronavirus cases

Summary of latest news from BNO Newsroom:

At least 1,028 coronavirus patients in Italy are now in intensive care, which is up from 877 yesterday.

Denmark has reported 252 new cases of coronavirus so far today, nearly doubling the country's total to 516. In response Denmark closes all schools and universities due to coronavirus, orders all public sector employees with non-critical jobs to be sent home from Friday.

New York City cancels St. Patrick's Day Parade due to coronavirus, making it the first time in 258 years that the event has been canceled - NY1/NYDN

Back