Converting gas fireplace to open fireplace

MoodyToo

I want to convert a gas fire place to a open fire. My fire place has a copper pipe soldered at the end protruding from the bottom centre of the fire place.
I have successfully removed the cement base of the fireplace and I can push the copper pipe back and flat so that if I replaced the fire cement I would have it covered with and inch and a half of cement at the base and where it runs behind the back wall of the fireplace it would be an inch or two away from the back.
Is this safe? Will the cement protect the pipe from any heat?
At the wall there is a on/off valve for the gas, I wish to turn this off but it is not marked to tell you which is on and which is off. The pipe comes down vertical from the gas source to the valve and then turns 90 degrees to the left towards the fireplace. With a screwdriver it can either be turned vertical or horizontal.
How can I tell which is off?
I understand these are both how long is a piece of string type questions but any advice would be appreciated.
Regards,
MoodyToo.

Last edited:
Re: Converting Gas Fireplace to Ope Fireplace

You should probably get a plumber/gas person out to do that stuff. You will also need to ensure that the hearth has been cut. You can't have a monolithic hearth with an open fire because of the heat.

In relation to the gas valve, if it is a screw down type just turn clockwise to close down the valve, if a lever type valve these vlaves are open when the lever lines up with the direction of flow. However you should ask a gas fitter/ plumber to make safe the gas line.

Yeah, I'll probably have to get a gas person out. Thanks, MoodyToo.

Back