converting a bedroom into a home office

Bosch

Hi folks,
I've finally decided to get the finger out and start changing our box bedroom (95" x 95") into something resembling a "home office".

So I've a couple of queries for all you DIY experts! :)

- I haven't decided whether to have carpet or a wood-floor... since the room is over our hallway and traffic in the room should be minimal, my preference is to go with wood-flooring... any recommendations on reasonably priced suppliers (and fitters) in south Dublin / Wicklow? I've been quoted between 600 and 900 by one crowd, which to me seems excessive for such a small room! Or maybe carpet is the way to go??

- There's currently plasterboard on the walls, which were papered over a couple of times over the years by the previous owners.. I've started trying to remove the wallpaper but it's hard work so I was wondering if it might be possible to maybe plaster over this paper, or if I do indeed need to scrape it all off before putting plaster on (which would subsequently be painted)... there are a lot of holes in the existing walls due to nails, etc. so that's why I figure it best to plaster over the whole lot... is this the best direction to take?

- Anyone here happen to do such a room conversion before and if so, have any do's or don'ts which would be handy for someone starting out at creating a "home office" ?

Thanks!
J.

Please don't plaster over wallpaper! And there is probably no need for replastering anyway. Use a steam stripper to remove the paper, then use filler (polyfilla or similar) to fill in nail holes, etc. Sand lightly then paint.

As for the flooring, can you sand, stain and varnish the floorboards? Very cheap and can look good even with cheapish floors.
cheers,
Diziet

If the walls are still very patchy after stripping and filling you could paper them with "Scandatex" which is a fibre type of wall paper, when painted looks great and gives a very contemporary feel, looks especially good in an office type environment. It will hide a multitude and is available from good interiors shops that stock wall papers etc. I'd go for carpet or carpet tile for the floor. For a small room you should be able to get a good quality end of roll contract carpet for reasonable money.

Hello Bosch,

Where you quoted for solid or semi-solid wood for the room? Even if you where this is not a cheap price. If it was laminate then its a complete rip-off.

I have no doubt that using a standard €7 - €10 per sq yard laminate for your room it could be supplied and fitted for around €150 - €200. I've done it for less as I've done it myself.

Regarding the walls, you really need to get all that old paper off first and see how the wall is underneath. After that it depends on what finish you want and the money you want to spend. Filling and sanding the bad bits can take time, will give a decent finish and costs very little. Plastering is messy and for a box room usually costs around €300, but its a great finish.

how about that fresco wallpaper stuff??, i.e. white textured paper that is designed for paint over. Gives the lasting of paint with the bit of texture of paper. Would solve the holes and patchiness etc.

Ok, thanks very much everyone... very helpful info there... I guess I'll try and get a power steamer and get the remainder of the wallpaper removed before painting... I was also looking at the existing floor-boards last night and they're a bit worse-for-wear... that said, I guess there's no harm in trying to sand it and see if the wood colour returns...

Thanks all !

J.

Back