Contributory Pension + Voluntary Contributions ?

Joebloggs

My Dad is hoping to retire at 60 and has 40 years of Class A Stamps. Under current rules would he still need to make Voluntary Contributions of €500 per annum to ensure that he will receive the Contributory Old Age Pension when it becomes due ?

I know the Pension situation is currently under review and going to change over the next few years but he would like to know the current situation.

Thanks.

My Dad is hoping to retire at 60 and has 40 years of Class A Stamps.
40 years or presumably 2,080 should qualify him for a full contributory pension from age 66.
He could claim the equivalent of Jobseeker's Benefit from age 65 if necessary.
Under current rules would he still need to make Voluntary Contributions of €500 per annum to ensure that he will receive the Contributory Old Age Pension when it becomes due ?
No.

He should sign on for Prsi credits when he retires. Also if he can get 13 paid Prsi contributions in the year he reaches age 63 he could qualify for the Payment to 65 year olds. 13 weeks of part time work would suffice once he earns at least 38 euro per week.

Read the qualification criteria for the over 65's payment and you will understand why.

Hard to believe that Voluntary Contributions are only €500 per annum. Money for ould rope as they say

Back