Contributory pension contributions

partnership

I have 235 a stamps spanning from 1990 to 2021 and will continue until May 2025 when I am 60 giving me 411 a stamps. Would I be entitled to a partial pension? I also have 1274 d stamps so can these be taken into account? I have also paid about 2 years full stamps in the UK between 1986 and 1989 (waiting to find out how many). I did try to work it out but got a bit lost so would welcome any help.

You can qualify for a pro rata contributory pension with a minimum of 260 paid A contributions alongside your D contributions. When you retire at age 60 sign on for Jobseekers Benefit or A class credits until you reach age 66. This will increase your ratio of A's versus D's and increase your contributory pension amount.

If you can manage to set up an ARF at age 60 you would be able to gain S class paid contributions which would improve your ratio and allow you to exceed the 520 paid contributions needed to get the normal contributory pension.

If you cannot manage to set up an ARF, then at age 60 if you worked part time and earned at least 38 euro per week you could gain extra paid A contributions. You would need to work for 109 weeks to reach 520 A paid contributions and then you would probably achieve a higher level of contributory pension. You would only need to work 4 hours per week at minimum wage to gain an A class paid contribution.

Last edited:
Thanks. I am hoping to move to Australia when I am 60 so no extra contributions. If I could add the UK ones I may make the 520.

I have also paid about 2 years full stamps in the UK between 1986 and 1989 (waiting to find out how many).
Then look up form NI38. You may be able to pay backdated voluntary UK NI contributions to bring you up to a full UK pension. It's worth asking and they are very cheap compared to the benefit.

Back