Contributory Irish/UK pensions

Nollaig

Hi
Quick question about contributory pensions. If a person has enough contributions both in Ireland and in the UK, can that person claim a contributory pension in both places

Yes, under EU rules both countries take into account the total of your contributions, both countries combined, to calculate your pension entitlement and then pay a proportion of that depending on the contributions you made in each country.

Hi
Thanks for the reply. I am not certain if I explained myself properly. My query is can I claim a contributory pension in bot countries separately if I have sufficient contributions, both ordinary and voluntary in both countries.

Yes, but you will not get the full amount from both countries, only a proportion.

Remember that if you claim two pensions, the level of the UK pension is much lower than in Ireland. So you might need to consider whether two small pensions is better than having the UK contributions added to your Irish contributions to get a higher Irish pension.

It all depends on your record in each country. You neeed to enquire from each as to what the separate payments might be and then check with the Dept of Soc Protection as to what you might get if your UK record was added to your Irish record.

How it works - or at least, how it is supposed to work

1. Each country will calculate how much you are entitled to only taking into account your contributions in each state - this is minimum entitlement ie two separate pensions based on your contribution record in each country.

2. Each country will also calculate what your entitlement would be had all of your contributions been made in each country. They will then reduce this in accordance with the ratio of contributions made in the country compared to the total contributions.

The higher of the two is your entitlement from each country, so you will end up with two pensions.

If you apply to the Dept of Social protection for a pension in Ireland and let them know your contribution record in the UK (with details of when and how much, etc you contributed) they will contact the UK on your behalf and do all the paperwork. I think you need to allow up to 6 months for the process to be carried out.

Reactions: mtk
How does this work in relation to retirement dates, my british pension is payable at 66 while my Irish pension wont be due until I reach 67?

You can have a full UK pension and a 98% Irish providing you have sufficient contributions in both countries.

Thanks for all the replies, I have made voluntary contributions in England to bring up my contributions and it is a relief to know I can claim the contributory pension in the two countries.

I'm not judging anyone but I am puzzled. How can someone have worked and contributed enough over the required time in 2 countries to get 2 full pensions?

I'm guessing that's because if you were self employed and the business went under or whatever and unemployment kicked in and you then paid a yearly contribution towards the pension? But to get a full pension from 2 countries?

Start paying PRSI in Irl at age 54.

Pay at least 520 conts.

Retire at 66, you will get the full CSP.

o_O

Pay at least 520 conts.

Retire at 54 /55 on a D stamp work or get PRSI credits Retire and get two Irish government state paid pensions One at 54/55 and another at 66,o_O

Same goes for people who worked in family type family business and know the way around the system putting off paying PRSI until 10 years before they reach pension age,o_O

Last edited:
Retire at 54 /55 on a D stamp work or get PRSI credits Retire and get two Irish government state paid pensions One at 54/55 and another at 66,o_O

I' m not sure about this:

-Retiring at 55 will mean an actuarially reduced pension (unless in one of the occupations in which normal retirement is at this age, eg, gardai, prison officers). Also, you are unlikely to have full service at this age. So either an actuarially reduced pension on incomplete service, or a larger deferred pension but still on incomplete service.

-For a pro-rata contributory pension you need a minimum of 260 paid full rate stamps. So you would have to work at least five years. Possibly credits at Class A could be earned after that.(If applying for credits directly after Class D retirement, they would only be at Class D rate.)

-Under the averaging rule the clock started ticking when the first PRSI contribution was made - even if this was a Class D contribution. So no chance of a full Contributory Pension.

Pay at least 520 conts.

But too late to start now - isn't it total contributions only from "around 2020"?

Back