contract work and bank holidays

H

holly23

Hi

Can anyone advise if bank holidays are payable to contract workers (working through an agency).
Is there a set period of time you need to have worked prior to being entitled ?

Anyone got any good links re this ?
Thanks

Contrary to popular belief, 27th & 28th Dec are not public holidays. From

Where a public holiday falls on a weekend, you do not have any automatic legal entitlement to have the next working day off work. This will occur over Christmas 2004 where Christmas Day (25th December) and St. Stephen's Day (26th December) fall on a Saturday and Sunday respectively. (New Year's Day 2005 also falls on a Saturday). You are entitled to the normal arrangements concerning employment and public holidays - that is;

A paid day off within a month of the public holiday
An additional day of annual leave
An additional day's pay
The nearest church holiday to the public holiday as a paid day off

Contrary to popular belief, 27th & 28th Dec are not public holidays.

Don't understand what that has to do with the original query but I would say that it's important to distinguish between bank and public holidays. Not sure what the rules are regarding contractors in this context though.

Don't understand what that has to do with the original query
Which bank holidays do you reckon the mid-Dec query was relating to?

The query seemed to be a general one and not necessarily specific to the imminent holiday season.

Thanks for the replies...My main interest was to find out if a contract employee is entitled to the public holidays....or if there is any lenght of time they need to have worked prior to the public holiday...the irlgov site doesn't seem to make mention of conract employees although it does say employees have an automatic right to a public holiday.....
but the other information from Rainyday was also useful as I didn't realise that you weren't automatically entitiled to the next working days off if the public holiday fell on a weekend....

ORGANISATION OF WORKING TIME ACT, 1997

ORGANISATION OF WORKING
TIME ACT, 1997
3.2 Employees, other than part-time, have an immediate entitlement to public
holiday benefits. Part-time employees must have worked at least 40 hours in
the 5 weeks ending on the day before the public holiday to qualify for public
holiday benefit.

(note Pro rata arrangment possibly for part time)

Web: www.entemp.ie The Information Unit, Department of Enterprise, Trade and Employment,
Davitt House, 65A Adelaide Road, Dublin 2, 01 - 631 3131, Fax 01 - 631 3267,
Lo-Call (from outside 01 area) 1 890 201 615.

Re: ORGANISATION OF WORKING TIME ACT, 1997

HI Rainyday

I think Basis/Oasis explains it badly or incorrectly.

December 27th and 28th are public holidays in Ireland in 2004. It might not have been automatically the following days. So, theoretically, the government could have made 30th a public holiday.

I can't find any official confirmation, but I am sure it is correct.

Brendan

Back