Contract to build - Builder seeking ESB costs

TestyUser1

In a bit of a situation with the contractor hired to build our house. They have built the house but some of the finishes, kitchen and stairs have been finished by other parties hired by us. They are seeking the electricity bills cost to be paid 50% by us due to as they are terming "our contractors electricity use". Its a fixed price contract and no provision for service charges as far as I can see in the contract.
Do they have any legitimate claims here? Is this normal?

It probably was not an issue in the past but with the current costs of energy it is a live topic. Are you as the house owner not paying the electricity bill now, then all the energy costs are your cost.

It probably was not an issue in the past but with the current costs of energy it is a live topic. Are you as the house owner not paying the electricity bill now, then all the energy costs are your cost.
Not the home owner yet. The final payment will be when the sale closes.
How much are we talking about here?
I’m imagining thousands. The heat pump has been running in the house 24/7 since the floors were drying out in about October. 50% of the bill is irrespective of what duration any trades spent on site.

In a bit of a situation with the contractor hired to build our house. They have built the house but some of the finishes, kitchen and stairs have been finished by other parties hired by us. They are seeking the electricity bills cost to be paid 50% by us due to as they are terming "our contractors electricity use". Its a fixed price contract and no provision for service charges as far as I can see in the contract.
Do they have any legitimate claims here? Is this normal?
Built 3 houses although all direct labour once electric connected I had to pay the bill.

Utility bills follow the owner. Building a house requires energy, what next, a diesel bill for driving to and from the site???

Unless the builder put something in the contract specifying that you would be expected to contribute, they're trying to pull a fast one.

I’m imagining thousands. The heat pump has been running in the house 24/7 since the floors were drying out in about October. 50% of the bill is irrespective of what duration any trades spent on site.

so who owns the house? is it being built for you on your property? or are you buying a new build?

so who owns the house? is it being built for you on your property? or are you buying a new build?
'Not the home owner yet...' suggests they are buying a new build from a developer rather than a situation where they commissioned a builder to build a one-off home on property they already owned. It's stage payments rather than a sale to close when you commission a build on your property.

I believe it's more typical for the connection to be put in the name of the land owner for a one-off build, I've never heard of a developer trying to add on such costs.

'Not the home owner yet...' suggests they are buying a new build from a developer rather than a situation where they commissioned a builder to build a one-off home on property they already owned. It's stage payments rather than a sale to close when you commission a build on your property.

I believe it's more typical for the connection to be put in the name of the land owner for a one-off build, I've never heard of a developer trying to add on such costs.
perhaps, although their first line of the OP says:

"In a bit of a situation with the contractor hired to build our house"

so it isnt immediately clear to me.

Yes apologies for the confusion. It is: buying a new build from a developer
We do not own the site.

Was running the heatpump to dry the floor faster the builder’s call, or yours or one of your contractors (flooring say) looking to get in/out sooner?

The heatpump is the only thing that is likely to build up a big bill, it could be drawing a couple of kilowatts 24/7 if windows are open etc. Charging a battery drill takes about 0.1kWh, so €0.04 at current electricity rates. Maybe some lighting for your trades people, assuming the house is LEDs then you could throw in another €0.50 a day assuming they turned on every light and just left them on.

Was running the heatpump to dry the floor faster the builder’s call, or yours or one of your contractors (flooring say) looking to get in/out sooner?

The heatpump is the only thing that is likely to build up a big bill, it could be drawing a couple of kilowatts 24/7 if windows are open etc. Charging a battery drill takes about 0.1kWh, so €0.04 at current electricity rates. Maybe some lighting for your trades people, assuming the house is LEDs then you could throw in another €0.50 a day assuming they turned on every light and just left them on.
That was completely the builders decision. They told us when the flooring fitters and tilers could get on site.

That was completely the builders decision. They told us when the flooring fitters and tilers could get on site.
I’d say you might prepare for an argument on that point. The fact is drills, saws and tools like that used by your floors/kitchen people use a trivial amount of electricity, €20-€30 would cover them all. The heating is different though and I doubt the builder would be raising this unless there’s a chunky enough bill. I don’t think heating ‘needs’ to be run to dry the floors to the builders finish, if you’d had the flooring laid after the sale completed you may have had to run the heating at your cost at that point to get the concrete to the moisture level required by your fitters.

Not saying they’re right, just explaining what the justification might be.

Back