Other Contents Insurance

JackMerridew

As i have my car insurance with them, I rang up FBD for a quote on contents, in particular a piece of jewellary (an engagement ring value circa €15k ) and they refused me cover as the ring was too valauable and i had no fixed safe in my house. Unreal how do these jokers get a licene to operate.

I was with 123.ie for the past three years but they have just quoted me 60% higher premium than last year. I was given the usual guff that it was a tough year for the insurance industry and premiums were rising across the board.

Anybody any recommnedations for an Ins Co that will cover this sort of thing?​

They wouldn't have refused to cover you. What they probably said was that a safe warranty would apply to anything over 10k. Meaning when the item of jewellery is not being worn it must be kept in a locked safe. Most insurers apply this warranty.

And it was likely that 123.ie would have applied the same warranty. Was the premium for last year without the ring. And now this year its 60% up with the ring? If so seems perfectly fair to me. What else would you expect? If your premium for the year was €120 for just a contents policy, you would probably be looking at an extra €225 for the ring alone. Most specified items are rated at about 1.5%.

Back