Home Contents Cover on BuyToLet

kaza

Hi,

Hope this is in the right forum - wasn't sure if it should go here or in Property investment and tenants' rights?

I am renewing my house insurance on my rental property and have a question about the contents cover. I rang the Broker to ask is content cover necessary, seen as it is a rental property. We just have the basic furniture stuff in the house, and when any of it breaks we simply replace it, so I was trying to reduce to premium by seeing could I remove it.

He said yes because of liability. He said if a tenant injured themselves say tripping over the carpet, or on some other content item them my content insurances would cover any liability/claim that arises from that injury.

He sounded very unsure of himself and went off to read some documentation while he was on the phone to me - so just wanted to check is this correct? It sounds a little strange to me - but then maybe it is simply I do not know the ins and outs of insurance.

so you have a household policy insuring the buildings? Then its fine the liability is part of the package. You take out a contents policy if you live in an apartment and you want to cover your personal liability.

Oh ok - yes though it was strange when he said I needed content cover for liability in the house!
Thanks for that

Back