Conservative leadership race

peemac

Looked at the debate last night...

If that is the sum total of potential leadership for the conservative party, then Britain is doomed and the guys in "not the nine o'clock news" were correct in changing the statement that Theresa May was the worst PM ever to "the worst PM so far this year"

And option 2? - Jeremy Corbyn!

For all the faults of Micheál Martin and Leo Varadkar, they'd be head and shoulders above that motley crew.

Looked at the debate last night...

If that is the sum total of potential leadership for the conservative party, then Britain is doomed and the guys in "not the nine o'clock news" were correct in changing the statement that Theresa May was the worst PM ever to "the worst PM so far this year"

And option 2? - Jeremy Corbyn!

For all the faults of Micheál Martin and Leo Varadkar, they'd be head and shoulders above that motley crew.
I quite like Rory Stewart. He's reasonable, courageous (he walked from one end of Afghanistan to the other in the early 00's) and a realist. Of course that means he won't win.

Westminster has turned into a circus of clowns however any of these wouldbe PMs would be better than May; Corbyn would be a total disaster. I'm no fan of Martin but at least there's some substance to him; Varadkar is a show pony.

The bland leading the bland. So c150,000 middle aged , conservative (with small “c”) , mainly white little-Englanders will elect the new PM. For most, the only “union” is the union of England. All candidates, except Stewart, are still peddling the unicorn of re-negotiating the “divorce deal”. And Boris has a history of doing u-turns (as with proposed Heathrow 3rd runway), so I would not believe anything from last nights bun-fight. All (except Stewart) we’re trying to out-Brexit each other. The objective was to appeal to the 150,000 only.

I had recently re-watched "The Thick of It" on Netflix. It's uncanny - the level of premonition is amazing

I quite like Rory Stewart. He's reasonable, courageous (he walked from one end of Afghanistan to the other in the early 00's) and a realist. Of course that means he won't win.

An exceptionally bright man. I think he was aghast at the sh*te emanating from his esteemed colleagues last night - his look said so on occasion. His calm logic didn't succeed as well last night as it had done in the C4 debate - partly on account of the chairing of the debate by a lady I like and partly because the three other eejits figured that attacking him rather than PM elect was the way to go.

Of course, the inevitable has now happened...………..I sometimes wonder about this democracy lark.

Last edited:
The dream of a glorious no-deal Brexit in which the Empire reemerges is, of course, a fantasy. Therefore the little-englanders who have bought (or are selling) the snake oil could not brook a realist being in charge.

The objective was to appeal to the 150,000 only.

Actually I'd say one of the reasons why so many Conservative MPs are backing Boris - and Boris has always been more popular with the party membership than MPs - is because they think in an election he would do better versus Corbyn than the other contenders.

The conservatives have made themselves unelectable for a generation. The SNP would stand a better chance of election if they ran candidates in England.

And it's down to three... who will make the final ballot versus Boris... Will Gove or Hunt get more of Sajid Javid's 34 voters?
I'm thinking it'll be Boris v Hunt now?
I wonder what would happen if 2nd and 3rd tied on same votes in next round of voting?

The conservatives have made themselves unelectable for a generation. The SNP would stand a better chance of election if they ran candidates in England.
Corbyn is their White Knight; he will save them by being even more unelectable.

Corbyn is their White Knight; he will save them by being even more unelectable.
It's scary just how popular Corbyn is with the youth. But he is the reason I referred to the SNP having a better chance. If the lib dems hadn't committed suicide by going into coalition with the conservatives a while back, they'd be perfectly placed now to be the ones forming a government at the next election.

Back