Connecting the 2 LUAS lines?

B

brendan74

Why, Why oh why is there not a connecting bus shuttle service connecting the Tallaght Luas line the Sandymount Luas line.
In fairness it is quite a hike for the elderly or mobily impaired to get from St. stephens green to O'Connell st..
Also it would make Henry Street and O'Connell street much more accessible to those living on the south side, and vice versa.
Who needs an incredibly expensive metro line to achieve this when it can be done easily and cost effectively.
If anything this is a service that the city should provide free of charge as is done in many other countries throughout Europe.
One wonders whether anyone in the Government or public transport agencies uses public transport.
sorry I am ranting here but it seems like just common sense!

Why, Why oh why is there not a connecting bus shuttle service connecting the Tallaght Luas line the Sandymount Luas line.

You mean Sandyford I presume? There is [broken link removed]!

travelling on the Tallaght line a couple of weeks ago, I did notice that there is a rather large gap between stops between Heuston Stn and St James' Hosp. I wonder why they didn't put a stop up on James' St to give access to Thomas St and all its shopping wonders?

The really annoying thing about both Luases is that you can't buy a 10 journey ticket for occasional travellers like you do on buses. Instead you have to queue at the solitary machine, which works quite slowly. You can't even buy 2 tkts simultaneously, but one after the other which slows things down a lot. I'm told the 10journey tkt is a no-no because there is no way to validate it each time and you'd just use the same tkt forever, or until an inspector validated it........ and in my infrequent journeyings, I've never seen an inspector.

Hi Gordanus,

I use the Luas all the time and find it excellent. I see Inspectors all the time on my twice daily trip.

The only problem I have with the Luas is drivers constantly hitting it and parking in the yellow boxes and blocking it. Pedestrians seem to find it amusing to ignore it and run in front of it and some dare devil cyclists still go thru red lights and cut across in front of it - its amazing that no one has been killed yet.

You can't even buy 2 tkts simultaneously, but one after the other which slows things down a lot.

Actually, you can. You simply hit the "change number" (or something similar) button on screen to specify the number of tickets of the type selected that you want to buy and then it charges for them and prints them out in one go. As an occasional user myself, I'd agree that selling booklets of multiple one day or single journey tickets would be useful too though.

Re: I've never seen an inspector

I am using the Luas daily (funny enough for my route of travel the luas/bus combi is faster than going by car) and every day I meet inspectors, mostly the same people so by now they know I have a monthly ticket.

A while ago there was a passenger survey and one of the questions was about a smartcard introduced that can be used for infrequent travel (aka 10 journeys etc.), so maybe it's comming.

Centrelink

Glad to see Dublin Bus are at least thinking about connecting the two sides of the city. But I'm not convinced this is such a practical idea. Both the 46A and 10 bus routes tend to be very crowded anyway. Are they going to put on extra buses to cope with demand for this service? Must have a closer look at their website. Also, going from O'Connell St to Stephen's Green those buses stop at the opposite side to the Luas/shopping centre - yes, I know it's not far but it's the principle of the thing. A dedicated bus (an Imp maybe - go minic anseo, go tapaidh ansiúd?) just doing a run from one side of the city centre to the other and back again would be more suitable imho. And rather than needing to pay, it should be included in the cost of a Luas ticket so that it's possible to transfer between the two lines without needing multiple tickets. I think something like this exists at the moment where if you have a suburban rail ticket it covers use of the Luas between Connolly and Heuston.

Route 92

I have not used it but isn't there the new Route 92 from Heuston to St. Stephen's Green effectively linking green to red line (not the endpoint on red but a major point)?

See
[broken link removed]

I might want to wake up, it took me 2 attempts to get this post right.

Re: Route 92

But I'm not convinced this is such a practical idea. Both the 46A and 10 bus routes tend to be very crowded anyway.

Yes - the 10 in particular covers such a long route, and Belfield in particular, that it can be quite busy but at least they seem to be very frequent. I don't have any recent experience of the 46A but I do remember that [broken link removed]... ;)

Back