Laya Connect Choice – advise ?

J.P.

Hi,
We are a family of four, parents in our 60s, two children, aged 22 and 26 - we are all currently on LAYA Connect Choice. Our policy is due for renewal in January 2018 – the LAYA Connect Choice renewal premium this year is coming in at €1,424 per adult, which is a big increase on last year !
I’m trying to find a cheaper plan providing an level of equivalent cover - can anyone recommend one please ?

Thanks

J.P.,

There will be a list of price reductions coming soon onto the HIA website, with effect from 1 January 2018.
So, before making any suggestions, I will wait until this list is published, hopefully early next week.

Regards, Snowyb

Thank you Snowyb.

I was looking at some other LAYA plans on the HIA website, based on current prices, the following two plans from LAYA look pretty similar (with some differences) to our current plan Connect Choice (at €1,424 p.a), with some significant overall savings to be made based on 4 people :

o Simply Connect at €1,180 p.a.

o Simply Connect Plus at €1,250 p.a.

Regards,

JP

J.P.,

It seems your own current plan 'Connect Choice' is reduced from 1st January 2018. New price 1268pa per adult.
Price for 22 yr old; 779pa;

Alternative options Simply Connect and Simply Connect Plus have extra day to day benefits, ie increased day to day limit 500 and 1000 per year
per member. Note this 500 and 1000 limits also include x-rays, ultrasound scans as well as gp, consultant, dental visits etc. No change in premium price.

Adult options;
1. Simply Connect; price 1179pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech excess 150 x 2 max per year, day case
excess 50 per procedure. Good day to day cover, 1 euro excess, max refund per member 500pa.

2. Simply Connect Plus; price 1250pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech excess 150 x 1 max per year, day case
excess 50 per procedure. Good day to day cover, 1 euro excess, max refund 1000pa per member.

3. Simplicity plan; price 1191pa; all public, private(including private room) and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech excess 100 x 2
per year, day case excess 50 per procedure. Good day to day cover, first 100 not allowed.

[broken link removed]

26 yr old;
Above options will also apply to 26 yr old, including the following options at cheaper prices.

1. Control 300 Create; price 1042pa; all public, private(including private room) and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech excess 300
per admission, day case excess 150 per procedure. Good day to day cover, 1 euro excess, 80 per consultant visit, 30 per gp visit etc.

2. Essential Health 300; price 895pa;(from 1/1/2018) all public, private and Beacon hospital covered, private excess 300 per admission, day case excess 125 per visit. Very limited day to day cover.
[broken link removed]

22 yr old options;
1. VHI PMI 43 16; price 669pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech excess 150 per admission, day case excess
50 per visit. Good day to day cover, 1 euro excess.

2. Simply Connect; price 717pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech excess 150 x 2 max per year, day case excess
50 per visit. Good day to day cover, max refund 500 per year.
[broken link removed]

Snowyb

Snowyb,

Thank you for your very detailed response - your ongoing input on this forum is truly remarkable & to be commended ! Thank you again.

JP

J.P.,

It seems your own current plan 'Connect Choice' is reduced from 1st January 2018. New price 1268pa per adult.

On this, Snowyb is correct in saying that the Connect Choice plan is being "reduced" to 1268pa from January from the 1424pa at the moment.

However, I am on this plan and didn't recall paying that much last year so went back and checked - Connect Choice cost me 1231 last year. So actually a 37 increase. So I'm confused about what looks like an increase after 1st Jan 2017 and now and next 1st Jan 2018.

A comment on the other plans Snowyb refers to - from what I understand, while Simplicity has the outpatient excess of €100, versus the other plans with €1 excess, it does not appear to have the shortfall of €165 per night for a Private Hospital Private Room. This benefit may outweigh the "€99" extra excess for gp visits etc depending on your needs. Also, from my point of view, given that Connect Choice is now 1298, Simplicity at 1191 has covered that loss of excess in any event. On that basis I'm moving to Simplicity this year.

Worth thinking about.

Back