Confusion about Household Benefits Package.

WaterWater

Last year at age 66 I qualified for the Household Benefits package when I got my State Contributory Pension for the first time.

At the time my wife was in receipt of Illness Benefit. I assume that this is why I qualified?

My wife is now aged 65 and has qualified for Invalidity Pension since late last year. This March she will move to a Contributory State Pension at age 66 from Invalidity Pension.

Her status will move from Invalidity Pension to State Pension. Both of us will now be receiving the State Pension and aged under 70.

Do either of us still qualify for the Household Benefits Package? I have read the online information but I am confused. I believe my wife qualified for this package when in receipt of Invalidity Pension but her status changes to State Pension at 66 so I am not sure.

Thanks.

You became eligible for the household benefits package because you are on one of the qualifying payments (State Pension) and you would have received an increase for your wife on your pension if she had not had a SW income of her own. She was not eligible for the benefits package in her own right when she was on Illness Benefit.

Now that your wife is on Invalidity Pension, you are eligible because your wife would also be eligible based on her pension.

This won't change when your wife moves to State Pension.

Can anybody here tell me when HBP Household Benefit Package first became available in Ireland?
I know that the current rate of €1.15 per day began in 2013 which varies the monthly rate depending on the number of days in the month.
Was this HBP paid prior to this date at a fixed rate per month regardless of the number of days?
I'm trying to help a friend's elderly friend whose Bank statement is showing monthly credits of €40.70 from Feb to Oct in 2010 and €43.80 each month to Aug 2011. Then from Oct 2011 to Dec 2012 the credit amount is €39.40 each month. Jan and Feb 2013 the credits are €35.00 when it reverts to the current figure of €35.65 March being a 31 day month.
Sorry if this is a bit long winded but I can't find the answer on Citizens Advice site and when I rang the Dept. in Sligo the helpful cailín said she wasn't there long enough to know the answer. So here I am begging once more.

There was a telephone allowance back in the day, which was stopped (and eventually replaced by a new telephone support payment). That might account for the variation in amounts as well as the free electricity allowance.

Back