Confused- Job Seekers, Tax Credits, Mat Benefit etc.

footsteps

I have searced for answer but just cannot find it clearly for myself so am hoping so of you can assist!

Spouse has been told that he will not be taken back to work after Christmas until beginning of March, so two months 'off' but not being made redundant.
I take it he is entitled to JB?
I will be on Mat benefit (baby due in Jan) and getting top up from work.
So should I, can I transfer his tax credits to me?
Is there anything else we'd be entitled to?
How can we insure that this break is not seen as a break in his employment in the case that the employer decides to make any staff redundant at a later date he has 15 years with this company?

I am blaming baby brain but just cannot get my head around these things!
Thank you for any light you may shed on the above!

In relation to your husband not going back to work until after xmas, this is known as "temporary lay off". It does not effect his lenght of service with the company and if he was made redundant in March then his redundancy pay would be based on when he first started in the company.

If you go to www.citizensinformation.ie and at the top of the page you will see a search icon and just type in "lay off" or "short time notice" and you should get alot of info in this. Just beware though that the employer has to fill out the relevant paperwork in relation to "lay off". I was put on "short time notice" and got no paperwork so actually printed it out myself and got employer to sign. He wasnt too impressed that I was asking him to sign paperwork, but you really need to cover yourself. Also after 4 consecutive weeks of the lay off your husband could ask the employer to make him redundant.

Of course your husband will be entitled to Job Seekers Benefit. He will need to go to the local Social Welfare office with ID, utility bill, both his and your PPS numbers and also a letter from his employer stating and confirming what is happening with your husbands employment. If you can, go too with your husband and enquire to see if there is anything else you are entitled to.

In relation to stamps etc, dont know too much on this.

I hope that the above makes some sort of sense as I am also suffering from baby brain!!!

Back