Compressing photos to upload while travelling

We're not ignoring you ClubMan, but ive compressed JPEGs before andf it does compress them but only a tiny amount. But if he wants to try it i think it's up to him and not you.:)

PS-i'm just telling him that RARing them will just make uploading them easier so he wont need to do them all individually. You know?

You could buy portable storage system.
You can get something flashy like the Epson P3000 which has 20/30GB storage disk and nice screen display for viewing images.
Also could go for Jobo Giga with 40 GB. not as fancy but cheaper.
Could also go for Vosonic/Xs/Wolverine drives which also allows you play mp3s and view some movie images.

You load the camera memory cards direct into the drives and copy the data onto the drive.
You can view your pictures on little display.

I know not the net but it is a suggestion.

If you don't already have an mp3 player, you could get one of (as discussed at some length here).

It doesn't display images, but it's cheap as chips, for 20GB of storage, and has a USB host function that would allow you to transfer the photos from your camera to the HD without a PC. You could then connect the player to a PC wherever you go online and quickly batch resize the files for uploading with MS Picture Manager, if it's installed, or with something like the or , the installation files for which you could store in advance on the Acer, to save you having to download them (although you'll probably find that an internet café's PCs will be configured in such a way as to prevent new programs from being installed by anyone other than an Administrator).

While not quite as cheap and simple as CGorman's idea, obviously, it might be a little safer/more convenient than carrying around CD-Rs, and of course your photo storage would also be doubling up as a music player.

(It also makes a nice cup of tea, although that's not mentioned in the specs. ;))

Take your photos, when available memory cards full, burn to cd - I spent 5 months in SEA in 2004 and every corner (nearly) had an internet cafe with a cd burner. Burn two disks and post one home, at your next full memory card situation do the same. No brainer.

Take your photos, when available memory cards full, burn to cd - I spent 5 months in SEA in 2004 and every corner (nearly) had an internet cafe with a cd burner. Burn two disks and post one home, at your next full memory card situation do the same. No brainer.

This sounds like the most intellectual suggestion so far...:D

and has a USB host function that would allow you to transfer the photos from your camera to the HD without a PC.
Is that necessarily true? As far as I understand it this will only work for cameras which normally appear as a USB storage device when plugged into a PC and many (most?) nowadays do not and require special drivers and/or software to access the camera storage. At least that's the gist I got from this part of the review and I know that my laptop can't see my Canon PowerShot A520 other than using the Canon supplied drivers/software (i.e. it doesn't simply appear as drive H: or whatever when plugged in).

Originally Posted by DrMoriarty [broken link removed]
and has a USB host function that would allow you to transfer the photos from your camera to the HD without a PC.

Agree with clubman here about USB connectivity between these devices and cameras.
The devices I mentioned earlier are developed not as Mp3 players but portable digital media storage. They come with storage card readers built into them. Do not even need the camera itself.
Some offer more functions than others e.g picture viewers, MP3 players, movie players. The more you pay the more you get usually.
Other are primarily for storing pics from camera cards and thats it. Of course you can use them for storing any type of data files, you just may not be able to view or use the data on the device.

If you can burn to CD at internet cafe or camera shop that is cheapest and best.
If paranoid burn multiple copies.

upload the memory card along the way to Yahoo photos and also share with family.
It took ages for just one photo to

A small Microsoft App called Microsoft Photo Editor 3.01 runs as a standalone app on any pc. It is 870kb in size. You can install it on your memory card and when camera is hooked up to an internet cafe pc (which won't allow you to install programs) you can run it off the camera.

I've just taken it to a pc using a small memory card and reader and it works fine. You can then use the resize option to reduce your 5MB picture by x%. Unfortunately it's one at a time. Also make sure and "save as" a different name as you'll want to preserve your original photo.

Here’s a link to the file but you should be able to find it on the net. [broken link removed]

PS most cameras offer in their own menu a copy and then resize option.

Is that necessarily true? As far as I understand it this will only work for cameras which normally appear as a USB storage device when plugged into a PC and many (most?) nowadays do not and require special drivers and/or software to access the camera storage.
I stand corrected. It works fine with my Finepix S5000, which is a few years old; as you say, it wouldn't with a camera which requires its own software to be installed.

The Finepix also has that option that davidoco mentions to crop, resize and save copies of your photos in-camera (in camera?) — it might be worth checking your manual, half scot? However, you're still going to be faced with the problem of needing extra storage.

On balance, simply burning to CDs and sticking one copy in the post does sound like the best (and cheapest) route. Someone at home with broadband could do the uploading for you and leave you free to concentrate on taking the photographs — and enjoying the trip!

Back