Compressing fibreglass insulation

Lex Foutish

I've heard that compressing fibreglass insulation reduces its insulating properties. Is this true? If so, any idea why?

Yes definitely.

Because its the trapped air that acts as insulation as well, so if you compress it you have effectively a much thinner layer of insulation.

I had my attic insulated recently with 300mm blown rockwool ie well above the joists, and one of the guys doing it told me if I wanted to put boards down to just throw them on top, the rockwool would compress nicely :confused:

I told him that I didn't think that was a great idea!

Just shows that even the 'experts' can be quite ignorant of the product they are selling.

House lovely and warm now with the nice thick insulation layer, and I won't be compressing it!

I had my attic insulated recently with 300mm blown rockwool ie well above the joists, and one of the guys doing it told me if I wanted to put boards down to just throw them on top, the rockwool would compress nicely :confused:

I told him that I didn't think that was a great idea!

Just shows that even the 'experts' can be quite ignorant of the product they are selling.

House lovely and warm now with the nice thick insulation layer, and I won't be compressing it!
Thanks Eamonn. Sounds toasty! I went looking at fibreglass insulation today and the best I could find was 200 mm. Do you know if a thicker one is available and if any of the big DIY stores or builders suppliers sell it?

Thanks Eamonn. Sounds toasty! I went looking at fibreglass insulation today and the best I could find was 200 mm. Do you know if a thicker one is available and if any of the big DIY stores or builders suppliers sell it?

I don't know if it comes in rolls thicker than 200mm but you're better off laying it in 2 layers anyway. 1 layer running with the rafters, 1 layer across the rafters.

Back