Comprehensive or 3rd Party Motor Cover? - You decide

Vince

I have just taken out my first policy for car insurance from a leading insurance provider. I'm on a provisional licence and have never been a named driver. (I have had years of motorbike cover though so am quite familiar with policies.)

Received my policy in the post today. I bought what I believed to be "Comprehensive" cover. However it now looks more like 3rd party cover under a misleading name.

My policy states that it is Comprehensive but has a caveat that has the following statement:

*IMPORTANT
"Cover is restricted to Third Party Fire and Theft while the vehicle is being driven or in the control of certain drivers as indicated above. This cover restriction is applicable for the complete policy term"

I am the only person on this policy and hence the above statement applies to me.

Has anybody ever come across this before?

This was never mentioned to me when I was buying this policy.

Could it be that you have a Comprehensive cover when driving your own car, but you are only covered 3rd party when you drive somebody else car?

bacchus is probably right.

But check directly with the insurance company. I know it took me a long time to figure out exactly what was covered in my policy.

Brendan

I'm not covered to drive any other car as I'm on a provisional licence.
I'm going to check the policy with the company today.

I rang the insurance company to clarify this statement.
It applies to other full licence holders who may drive my car.
The documentation is confusing though as it looks as if it refers to myself.

Thanks for the update. ALways good to find out what the insurance company is on about.

Back