complicated inheritance case...

tullyross

Hi, I need help with a few questions regarding a possible dispute over an inheritance, if anyone can clarify anything that would be great.

First, is there a time limit on when a person can dispute a will? (My father died almost 7 seven years ago and I have heard that a person claiming to be my half-sibling may be about to make a claim on his estate).

Secondly, if a person was never recognised as someone's child, do they have a chance at contesting a will? (My father always maintained that the child was not his, but there was never DNA testing done).

Thirdly, can a person be obliged to undergo DNA testing by a court to determine half-siblingship? (Is this sort of testing even reliable in a court of law?)

Lastly, is there any way this person could try to have my father's body exhumed for DNA? (I am his only next-of-kin and would not give my permission).

I know this is quite a complicated situation, but if anyone had any answers they would be very helpful.

If he's a half sibling that would have to be proved and if yes then he may have a claim. Not sure how long he has to contest a will though. And if it's already dispersed than it looks even bleaker for the half sibling. Why don't you want and see what he does first and then worry about it.

If this person comes forward, what do you want to do? Siblingship can be proven by taking DNA from you and this person, no need to exhume your father.

OP, who are the parents of this half sibling? I mean their legal parents, not necessarily their biological ones. Was this supposed half sibling ever legally adopted by someone (other than your father) as their own child? If they were, they acquire inheritance rights with those "new" parents and lose the inheritance rights from their biological ones.

Back