Home Compliance with Building Regs matter for house insurers? -Attic Conversions

Betsy Og

Attic conversion building regs are fairly detailed and onerous. I'm led to believe, and know first hand of one case, that the regs are rarely ever met on attic conversions and yet the houses remain insured.

Anyone any views on this?, particularly if you work in the industry.

I'm thinking of buying a place that had attic conversion type job but, long story short, before the sale to me the County Council are going to inspect that the top floor (3rd floor) is closed off - sale is by builder, house never lived in or insured before.

So after I've bought Id like to re-open to top floor. Seller recommended that I get the insurance guys out to look at it to "sign off" that they are happy to insure it (it wouldnt be a bedroom up there).

Do insurers visit premises to "sign off" - or would they run a mile from anything not complying with the regs?, or would they even ask the question? No fire risk posed IMHO if no-one sleeping up there, the fire would come from below so as long as the rest of the place complies then you'll either be out or dead before the top floor gets toasted.

If I get negative responses it does rather beg the question what about all the non compliant attic conversions in the country (or which there must be thousands), if they have a fire will the insurer run a mile from the claim, or does the "unwritten code" show that they just suck it up and move on???

Simple answer...if the council advise you that the building does not for whatever reason comply with current building regs, then this is a discloseable fact which upon proposal of the risk, must be disclosed to insurers. If you do not dislose this, and a loss occurs, then insurers may cancel your policy ab initio.....ie, they consider that your policy never existed and return your premium to you.That is not to say that they wont accept the risk, but you must tell them and let them decide. An insurance policy is one of upmost good faith ( umberrima fides )...you must disclose all material facts.

Im afraid that there is no "unwritten code" in the insurance industry, insurance policies are not as intriguing as the De Vinci Code.....It is all fairly mundane stuff!!!

So basically get insured initially with the council signed off house (all fully compliant), make the changes, tell them to come back to inspect. Worst case scenario they say not happy, close it off again so either a) look for an insurance co who'll accept it or b) close it.

OR they might say, spot on no bother bosco, pay me extra for the square footage.

Do people generally tell their insurance company that they've conerted the attic and that it may not comply with regs ... or are loads of people unwittingly at risk. I presume the fact that you didnt realise it didnt meet the regs is no defence.

I thought if an attic is converted and it does not comply with Building Regulations the conversion is not deemed habitable space.

A three bed house with non-complied conversion is still a three bed house with extra “storage space” where the attic used to be.
These extra room(s) cannot be called bedrooms or living space but can be called storage rooms, whatever you use them for is another matter.

For insurance purposes you should insure for the rebuild value of the entire property in question as it is built currently. I.e. in the above case a three bed house with storage rooms in the attic…

So basically get insured initially with the council signed off house (all fully compliant), make the changes, tell them to come back to inspect. Worst case scenario they say not happy, close it off again so either a) look for an insurance co who'll accept it or b) close it.

OR they might say, spot on no bother bosco, pay me extra for the square footage.

Do people generally tell their insurance company that they've conerted the attic and that it may not comply with regs ... or are loads of people unwittingly at risk. I presume the fact that you didnt realise it didnt meet the regs is no defence.

I dont know. I suspect that most people dont. However, there is a big difference between seeking cover on a building when you are unaware of any problems with it and seeking cover on a building that you know is in breach of building regulations. The fact that the structure is in breach of building regs will likely influence a prudent underwriter in determining whether to accept the risk or not. If it is badly or improperly built, it is more likely to be damaged due to a variety of perils for which there is cover under a policy. In addition, if the building is subject to a potential demolition order etc from the council, then it is more likely to mysteriously burn to the ground and a hefty claim to be made to insurance company....yes, that does happen.

Back