Completely confused by PRSI and tax Q

• Thread starter angeldelight
  • Start date
A

angeldelight

I'm a locum pharmacist and as such am not allowed to count myself as self-employed. So everytime I work somewhere I'm put on their books as a new starter and am emergency taxed. I'm trying to keep track of what I've been paid etc on a monthly basis so when it gets to the end of the year it's less of a headache but I'm totally confused by PRSI.

During January I worked for 6 different pharmacies or agencies. 1 of these, my main one, I assigned all my tax credits to so that one at least is ok. For 4 of the others I've been emergency taxed, there's been no employees PRSI paid and no income levy. From those 4 my gross monthly pay is 1947.. how do I go about figuring out the amount of PRSI I should have paid? I've read the posts here already but am totally lost to be honest. And when it gets to the end of the year, how do I pay the PRSI??

Also if a pharmacy hasn't put me on the books at all and has just paid me the total amount can I declare this somewhere given that I wouldn't be doing a self-employed tax return at the end of the year.. just sending off P60s and requesting a P21? I want to pay everything I'm supposed to, don't want a bix tax/PRSI bill a few years down the line

This is very topical!

I believe agreement was reached last week at a TALC meeting where your personal credits etc will be setr against your higher-earning employments and you'll have Nil credits against the other employments.

Details should be on one of the TaxFaxes coming this Friday - TaxFax is a tax-circular for tax-advisors published most Fridays. Your query was just resolved, so bear with us a little longer before we can revert with practical solution (who to ring re your employments etc).

The PRSI situation is slightly different to the PAYE one in that the deductions are NOT cumulative and also each employment is treated separately

So you could have a situation like yours where you can earn a wage in 5 different pharmacies each week, earning a total gross wage of ~ €2,000 and still pay no PRSI at all.

This is fine and you will not have to pay any additional PRSI at the end of the tax year as your PRSI for those employments is DEEMED to be paid as you are still classed as being on PRSI Class A0 (or similar) for each employment.

The Income Levy is different and unfortunately I don't have any answers to that aspect of the case.

Back