Complete purchase and then take legal action

Aimee

Hi guys,

some of you may have come across my previous posts and may be aware that we have had a nightmare with our builder. We now think that the major problems will be sorted and are somewhat satisfied, however this guy has now produced new "accounts" and "bills" and I feel he is giving with one hand and taking back with the other! He knows what he has to do since last May, but officially July - he dragged matters out but is protected as the contract isnt up until next month!

My question - can we go after him for rent when we complete? I know, ideally I should hold out again, but he is a total nightmare and I guess I wouldnt see the house until this time next year - I have tried everything possible - solicitors, engineers etc etc! Im so disgusted that these cowboys can get away with so much!

Anyway could I bring some sort of case against him for the rent payments, mortgage payments, stress ................ ????? I feel so bad done by that I just really think he can't totally get away with it! If I pay over all the monies we now agree on am I giving up my right to bring a further case against him???

Any advice welcome!

Sue by all means - but where will it get you - more stress, upset and even if you get a judgment, will he pay? I don't believe you would get any order for compensation for rent, mortgage etc.,etc.

My advice? Close, walk away and chalk it up. Things happen and they can't always be fixed.

mf

yeah, deep down I suppose I think that too, but you know the initial "being made a fool of" - you want to hit back - I do know that once I get into the house and start putting it all together I will have my own life on my mind and wont be affected by that idiot any longer! Head high, he's the one who will have all the grief with the other 100 houses he proposes building - poor purchasers!

Cheers mf :)

I haven't read your previous posts on the issue and I agree suing for compensation will probably get you nowhere and will stress you for god knows how long. But the sad fact is so many of these cowboys get away with everything because very few people go the long route in trying to get recompense. At the very, very least put it out there somewhere ie. [SIZE=-1]http://www.ratethebuilder.ie , you might save somebody the stress you've had. Also check and see if the builder is a member of the construction industry federation or [/SIZE]Irish Home Builders Association and let his own deal with him. See

And of course word of mouth can go a long way.

I would say though, if you have a paper trail of all that has gone on, you could consult a solicitor who would be able to give a feeling of the viabilty of the case. That's your own decision and for me it would depend on how much money is involved here which I don't know.

Good luck!

Sueing will cost money. Bad mouthing him on ratethebuilder or any other website may result in You being sued Be careful. If he s building and selling 100 houses he'll be on good terms with his law firm and has deep pockets

Back