Complaints about the vagueness of government's pandemic plans

Brendan Burgess

Founder
It's the same in the UK. Politicians and commentators criticising the uncertainty in the government's plans.

Demanding an exact plan for Leaving Cert exams for example.

This criticism is not justified.

The path of the pandemic cannot be predicted.

The uncertainty is uncomfortable, but it's much better that the government and NPHET says "we don't know" than give people a false certainty now and dash their hopes later.

The vaccination depends on the smooth delivery of vaccines. The Minister for Health can only say "We will vaccinate X people by the end of June if the vaccines are delivered as scheduled."

Brendan

It's the same in the UK. Politicians and commentators criticising the uncertainty in the government's plans.

Demanding an exact plan for Leaving Cert exams for example.

This criticism is not justified.

The path of the pandemic cannot be predicted.

The uncertainty is uncomfortable, but it's much better that the government and NPHET says "we don't know" than give people a false certainty now and dash their hopes later.

The vaccination depends on the smooth delivery of vaccines. The Minister for Health can only say "We will vaccinate X people by the end of June if the vaccines are delivered as scheduled."

Brendan
Ah here , "the government should know , that's their job ".
That's the narrative no matter what the reality of the situation is.

Agree - I can't understand the UK saying nightclubs will open on June 21st for example. What's the advantage? All that can happen is the potential for disappointment - guessing what will happen beyond a month is foolish. You can state the hopes and general approach but you think we'd all have learned that things change over time

Everyone knows that this pandemic is unpredictable and it has no timeline . At least if the government say that " we should be able to open up schools , for example in say March " at least they should all be saying the same thing .
Last week we had one saying that we will reopen in March and then someone else said April and then it was mid summer. They would have been better saying nothing at all as that .

In the main I agree with @Brendan Burgess but Calamity Jane’s (as SD is being called) performance on Claire Byrne Live was very poor.
It had been agreed on Monday afternoon that the Minister of Education and her Department had agreed with all the “other players” (i.e. unions) that the phased reopening of schools would begin on 1st March.
But on CBL, SD said it hadn’t been finalised. Sending some into a panic. And it had to be corrected on Tuesday morning.

The government being vague is OK by me. But giving incorrect statements is unacceptable.

Last week we had one saying that we will reopen in March and then someone else said April and then it was mid summer. They would have been better saying nothing at all as that .

Agree with that. They should have all agreed that the future was uncertain and should not have allowed themselves to be drawn into specific forecasts.

Brendan

As for the U.K. government’s announcements, they seen too certain given the uncertainty of the pandemic.

Apparently there have been multitudes of Britons booking continental holidays and the organisers of music festivals like The Reading Festival are starting to book bands.

We know how bad the “Kent Variant” is, but the “Bristol Variant” is recent and we know little about it.

I think a part of the problem here is how politics has become more obviously adversarial. It may well have been so all along, but mass traditional and social media coverage has put it front and center. Years ago, very few bothered to read about what was going on in the chambers.

A large cohort of opposition politicians just oppose everything the incumbents say at every opportunity. They demand the impossible knowing well they won't get called out for it and it plays well with the masses.

I think a part of the problem here is how politics has become more obviously adversarial. It may well have been so all along, but mass traditional and social media coverage has put it front and center. Years ago, very few bothered to read about what was going on in the chambers.

A large cohort of opposition politicians just oppose everything the incumbents say at every opportunity. They demand the impossible knowing well they won't get called out for it and it plays well with the masses.
Yes, the far Left of Sinn Fein and the basket of crazies in the Solidarity/ PBP/Rise/AAA/Whatever-you're-having-yourself have a casual enough relationship with reality and the hysterical media coverage, particularly by RTE and anything Matt Cooper hosts, feeds into it.

I see nphet ramping up the doom again ahead of the government decision like a Hollywood sequel following the same tired formula's. We need new people at the top to get us out of this.

And who do you think these new people should be ......just wondering . And how do you see these new people changing things exactly

I remember seeing that I was in Cohort 4 for the first vaccinations. Then it slipped to Cohort 5 and now I see that I am in Cohort 6.

Are there new cohorts being introduced to match the number of vaccines available. Is this a way to slow down the rollout by creating new groups and pushing our expectations back?

I remember seeing that I was in Cohort 4 for the first vaccinations. Then it slipped to Cohort 5 and now I see that I am in Cohort 6.

Are there new cohorts being introduced to match the number of vaccines available. Is this a way to slow down the rollout by creating new groups and pushing our expectations back?

A few weeks back they were adjusted to bring forward the more vulnerable.

Back